Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 G500 - Silver/Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am currently looking for a "third" vehicle to use for skiing, driving up to the mountains and as a winter car as my daily driver is terrible in the snow. I have an ML320 which has been good for these things but in talking with my fiance we decided that since neither of us want to drive an SUV year around and are not huge fans of the ML styling it might be good to get a very capable and classic car such as the G500 for our third vehicle. The idea is to keep this car for 10+ years and the G500 looks really appealing as the body style hasn't changed in 30 years and the off road capability of the car is truly impressive.
If we want to spend no more than 40K should we be looking at a 1999 or 2000 Europa one as I believe from my research they are far more reliable than the 2002 and 2003 MYs or should we look at a low end 2004... further more is 2002 and 2003 years to avoid?
A 2000 G500 (silver/black) just sold in my area this weekend before I could get in to look at it, it had 130K miles and was listed for 22K which seems like a pretty good price and frankly the less I spend on the car the more I have to spend on trips to the mountains so staying under 30 would be ideal.
What advice would you guys offer and do you know of any good cars for sale, I would prefer silver and black and am curious about the 3rd row side seating option, if its usable or not?

Thanks in Advance.
AC

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was in the same frame of mind as you and picked up a one owner 2004 G500back in September (Silver with black interior). It had 98K on it then, and instead of paying for the expensive 100k service, the original owners traded it on a new Audi Q7. I picked it up from the dealer and did the full 100K service plus installed new tires and am still under the $30k mark total out of pocket.

It is my first G and I love it. My wife on the other hand, hates everything about it. She will drive it, but only when she has too. She complains about the heavy steering, the hard seats, the stiff ride, the running boards getting her pants legs dirty, the glare from the flat glass, etc etc etc... :crybaby2:

All that aside, I am very happy with the 04. I've got the full history and there were no reliability issues with mine. There are good ones out there for decent money, you just have to be patient and look. Where you located?

Good Luck,
Greg

·
Registered
2002 G500 - Silver/Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Greg,
I am located in Seattle.
Thanks for your advice! Anyone else have any thoughts or leads on a good 2004 (willing to travel as I am betting FLA and AZ are great spots to find a good lightly used one.
AC

·
Registered
Considering a G500
10 Posts
Are you only looking for an '04?

·
Registered
2002 G500 - Silver/Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im pretty open at this point, my fiance likes the interior of the 02+ better than the europa ones but I have heard the 2002 and 2003 (up to a certain vin number) had some pretty serious electrical issues and that has been backed up by both 2002 owners I talked to, lots of random check engine lights coming on, etc.
so right now I think I am most interested in finding a really good 2004 or newer in my price range but am still interested in low miles europa ones.
Looks like you are also looking at the G500, are you hearing the same things?
AC

·
Registered
Considering a G500
10 Posts
Arthur:

I found an '02 on the Portland CL that sounds reasonable. I am still pretty new to the G500 world- hence all my questions- but I had not heard bad things about the '02's yet.

Good luck with your search!

Paul.

·
Registered
2002 G500 - Silver/Black
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Paul,
I would be a bit cautious, all of my research points to 02 and 03 having problems even to the point of there being a specific VIN number in which they fixed the issues in 03. The dealer backed up these reports and said "02 and 03 came in for a lot of warranty work for electrical related issues. My understanding is the drivetrain is just as solid but i believe one thread described an early 03 as having electrical demons.
Is this the one that is listed with a used car company, DC something? I think I saw that one a while back as portland shows up in my CL searches.
AC

·
Registered
Considering a G500
10 Posts
AC:

Here is a link to the '02;

2002 Mercedes G500 Sport Utility 4D Navigation 63K Silver

I would have thought that any issues with an '02 would have been fixed after 60k miles and 8 years? Maybe not. I'll probably get mine inspected by a MB shop before purchase.

Can you give me the VIN range?

Thanks & good luck,

Paul.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts