Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1971 280S that has 22,445 miles with a diesel engine. It has been sitting in a garage for the past 25 years without being ran. I am looking for any information or suggestions of what I should do with this vehicle? Thank you in advance.

Al

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Unless the engine is not original, it's either not a diesel or not a 280S. As for your question, what exactly do you mean "what to do with it"? What do you want to do with it? Restore it, sell it, scrap it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
We definitely would need more info to give you any helpful advice. Also, finish filling out your profile, as with knowing your area, it can be helpful with who/where we steer you for advice. Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am located in central NJ. The car is inherited from a family member, so I only know what I have been told about it or can tell myself. It was a Sunday car that was last used in '87 or '88 (because that was when it had a last active insurance card), it has been parked in the garage ever since, but never ran. It has all of its original parts, it has the original paint which is a light blue w/matching hubcaps. I believe flyboyike is correct about it not being diesel (i was mislead). Knowing this I'm trying to figure out what I should do with it, I'm not sure if this particular model is worth investing in, or selling to someone who will restore and enjoy it , or if scraping it is the way to go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
You may have a real treasure, especially if the mileage is 25000, or maybe 125000. I'm restoring a 1971 220/8 with 88000 miles and the engine runs great. The rubber parts may be your biggest headach, as they tend to dryrot. I'd say do not trash! If you don't want it I know with proper advertising you could get a surprising amount of money for that car.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Join mbca

The mbca is a club that specializes in the care and feeding of these sorts of finds. There are probably members around you that can help you out. They may or may not have an issue or two on the model as well as advertisers relevant.

The regional director is Werner Fehlauer.

[email protected]
:thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts