Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking at buying a e320 convertible and wondering if I should be aware of any issues other than your typical 10 year old used Benz small stuff.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
I bought the previous model (my pix are in the W124 gallery) last month. The E320 Cabriolet is almost identical. Pay close attention to ALL the parts associated with the convertible top, including the way the operating switch controls the windows.

There may be a more complicated bunch of gear than the M-B top and storage system, but I don't know what it is. BTW, leakage while driving in the rain is not the issue; leakage when sitting at an odd angle while parked is. Park on a slope, hose it down. Turn the car a different direction on the slope, hose again. Repeat. Check the trunk for dampness, too.

Good luck!
Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

Thanks for the advice. I will scrutinize the top with greater detail now. All the reviews I've read of this car sound good with the exception of some acceleration complaints (eg underpowered). Have you found this to be an issue?

Best, Brooks[:)]

PS. Great looking car. May I ask what you payed?

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
505 Posts
[8D]
You're welcome any time, Brooks.

As for acceleration, I'm fine with it. Off the line it is not brisk, unless you put your foot halfway in to get a solid first gear start. I estimate 0 to 60 MPH at about 8.5 seconds if you do that.

This is a heavy car (4,300 lbs with fuel and driver) with about 220 HP. The important thing for me, since I drive the Interstate every day, is 60 to 80 MPH acceleration. M-B must have used this span as a design criterion because the car really gets up and boogies in that range. Very surprising, especially to BMW drivers.

I paid $20K, including all taxes, inspections, and a report from the local expert M-B mechanic. This is a one-owner San Francisco car with a few small scratches and dime-sized dings; 40K miles, but not concours condition.

Good luck finding a similar one. There are a some in Florida, for sure. Watch eBay.

Happy Trails,
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought a 94 e320 in july 04. I paid $22000 for a 75000mi. almost flawless body and interior.. since then, without sounding redundant to other forum readers, i have replaced the head gasket(oil leak ) wiring harness , engine mounts , water pump , front pads, and tires by necessity and new top(my choice). I still have a water leak into the passenger foot well which i havent traced down yet..The radio/6 disc cd is okay, not great and will need to be upgraded. The chrome rims(probably aftermarket) look ok, not great and I will probably replace them when they annoy me enough and last but not least the ambient temperature indicator sensor is non functional and needs to be replaced.. I am really enjoying the car though, it is a great drive. Be aware that any decade old car will need work even if it checks out perfectly. Most of what I encountered are known issues with the w124. The gasket and wiring harness are the biggies in terms of cost, good luck in finding your car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I plan to list for sale my 1994 e320 cabriolet on several web sites. 29,900 miles. Smoke Silver. Excellent condition. Wiring harness replaced. Contact me at [email protected] if interested. Car is in Northern Virginia.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts