Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie, not only to this forum, but to Mercedes, to the 560, and to timing chains. As a newbie I have advice for my fellow newbies.

I suggest you consider taking the right side valve cover off as part of your maintenance checks. The reason for the check is to avoid complete destruction of your engine (it is highly possible if one of these pieces is not right). The reason for the right side (from seated driver's perspective) is that it is the easiest to take off. And it is the location of #1 cylinder. The reason to take it off is to check the
(a) chain guides,
(b) chain tensioner,
(c) cam oilers and
(d) timing chain stretch.
All just visual inspections.

After removing the air cleaner, it is simply four 10mm bolts. They are not very tight (3 Nm torque - about 3 ft.lbs.) and the gasket is a soft rubber gasket and does not typically "stick" or "tear" like typical American valve cover gaskets (it compresses slightly to make the seal). It is easy to pull the cover off and around the few surrounding hoses. No oil pours out and it is not messy. After hearing all the stories about even new Benzs suffering from this, and nearly losing my own engine to this, I suggest it to anyone who buys a used Benz as their very first thing to check (even before oil).

Hey old timers, old schoolers, and curmudgeons, Am I wrong here?

·
Registered
1991 300 SE
18,534 Posts
BenTwombly - 4/9/2006 9:50 AM

...the gasket is a soft rubber gasket and does not typically "stick" or "tear" like typical American valve cover gaskets (it compresses slightly to make the seal).
Yes, this is the type of gasket also used on the diesel valve cover and the transmission pans, at least on cars of this era. They’re simple and efficient, part of the cars’ remarkable design.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts