Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings

Hoping to buy a '63 220 SE Convertibile but the windshield wipers are stuck (facing upwards))

I was unable to check it thoroughly as car has not run for about 8 years.

Aside from the fuse, what could be the problem?

What checks should I do?

What is the process of removing / repairing / fitting the wiper motor?

Is this on You Tube?

Many thanks

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
16,431 Posts
I don't know but someone will. What a car to be buying, lucky you.

·
Registered
CLK 280 Ponton 190
96 Posts
I think it will be similar to the W121 saloons. Just under the windscreen at back of engine are black card panels. Remove battery and unscrew retaining studs and remove the card panels. this will expose all the windscreen wiper mechanics.
First check the fuses. On the W121 its fuse No 2 Wipers, flashing indicators, fuel gauge and starter(?)
Try youtube, there is lots on old MBs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Many thanks Nigel, Very helpful.

I read somewhere that to remove the wiper motor entailed taking it from under the dash and that is was very difficult. But I'll do as you say. Thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do. Thanks Nigel.

Busy trying to source a a company that supplies MB Tex material. My trimmer said he could do it but needs the springs / horsehair foam + MB Tex.

Maybe you know where I could try?

If not, no need to reply!

Thanks

·
Registered
68 250S, 91 300se, 98 SL500, 450SEL 6.9, 14 CLS550 Past MB's; 300SD, 300E, 300TE, 190E, ML420
4,544 Posts
Try World Upholstry or GAHH

·
Registered
Ferguson TED-20 1956, Mercedes-Benz 220 S 1963, Valmet 502 1973, Mercedes-Benz S 500c 1996
172 Posts
Hej!

I recently did this!

You're looking at two potential problems. In order to diagnose both you need to disconnect the pushrod between the wiper motor and the wiper assembly.

I see you're from the UK, so I'm guessing your car might be RHD? in which case left and right might be mixed up (i've never worked on a RHD W111, so this description will be for a LHD car. If you cant find it, just check the opposite side and it's probably there :) )

eitherway, you wiper motor would be located on the firewall in the right side of the engine compartment, and will be about the size of a beer can.

remove the underdash covering on the side of the wiper motor, and you will see a crank, connected to a pushrod, which in term is connected to the wiper assy. remove this pushrod. For now one end will be enough.

once the pushrod is disconnected you should be able to very easily move the wipers from the outside. if not, the shaft is rusty, and you wil be in for a world of pain... (more on that later)

Assuming you dont have any burned fuse, there should be power to the wiper motor once activated (ignition on etc)
Before you do a test run of the wiper motor make sure the pushrod is disconnected from it in order to not make any damage (that motor is pretty strong...)

Should you find the motor to be the problem, they can be found on german ebay every now and then(search for w111 wischermotor), but take note, there were two varieties of wiper motors, one speed (mostly found on w110) and two speed. You can determine which one you have on the number of pins. From what I understand all coupes should have the twospeed, so if you find one with more pins than your's, someone has been here before...

removing the motor is easy, the pushrod is already gone, so now you only need to loosen three screws and the electrical connector

Should the wiper assembly be rusty there are two ways: either you manage to lubricate it from the outside and manage to get it going if it is not too bad, or you have to remove the heater core (if it comes to that I strongly recommend you change the O-rings and hose stumps to the heater core, as well as lubricate the wires to the heater controls)
Just remove the big passenger side duct, all connections (wires, electrical and water) to the heater core then it is just the simple matter of removing the driver side duct, and once that is done you may remove the wiper assembly, remove the retainer rings and you should be able to disassemble, clean and lubricate!

Let me know how ot turns out or if you need more guidance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hej!

I recently did this!

You're looking at two potential problems. In order to diagnose both you need to disconnect the pushrod between the wiper motor and the wiper assembly.

I see you're from the UK, so I'm guessing your car might be RHD? in which case left and right might be mixed up (i've never worked on a RHD W111, so this description will be for a LHD car. If you cant find it, just check the opposite side and it's probably there :) )

eitherway, you wiper motor would be located on the firewall in the right side of the engine compartment, and will be about the size of a beer can.

remove the underdash covering on the side of the wiper motor, and you will see a crank, connected to a pushrod, which in term is connected to the wiper assy. remove this pushrod. For now one end will be enough.

once the pushrod is disconnected you should be able to very easily move the wipers from the outside. if not, the shaft is rusty, and you wil be in for a world of pain... (more on that later)

Assuming you dont have any burned fuse, there should be power to the wiper motor once activated (ignition on etc)
Before you do a test run of the wiper motor make sure the pushrod is disconnected from it in order to not make any damage (that motor is pretty strong...)

Should you find the motor to be the problem, they can be found on german ebay every now and then(search for w111 wischermotor), but take note, there were two varieties of wiper motors, one speed (mostly found on w110) and two speed. You can determine which one you have on the number of pins. From what I understand all coupes should have the twospeed, so if you find one with more pins than your's, someone has been here before...

removing the motor is easy, the pushrod is already gone, so now you only need to loosen three screws and the electrical connector

Should the wiper assembly be rusty there are two ways: either you manage to lubricate it from the outside and manage to get it going if it is not too bad, or you have to remove the heater core (if it comes to that I strongly recommend you change the O-rings and hose stumps to the heater core, as well as lubricate the wires to the heater controls)
Just remove the big passenger side duct, all connections (wires, electrical and water) to the heater core then it is just the simple matter of removing the driver side duct, and once that is done you may remove the wiper assembly, remove the retainer rings and you should be able to disassemble, clean and lubricate!

Let me know how ot turns out or if you need more guidance!
Many thanks for your excellent advice. Will do exactly as you say.

Keep well,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts