Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
500SL ('93), C200 ('14), MGB Rdstr ('65)
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
evasim,

I think also in 300SL, ADS fuses are in the main fuse box in engine bay; possibly fuse #5. I agree with GUSMB, unlikely that all four of your damper valves would have failed (what were the error codes you got?). Front valves are controlled separately and the rear ones jointly by the ADS ECU. It is more likely you have an electrical fault. Missing ground connection in the ADS control unit? OVP relay (Overvoltage Protection) is also an usual suspect in early cars. It has own 10A blade fuses in the relay. If OVP tin solders have cracked, resoldering may remedy the problem.

Your ADS MIL bulb threw no fault code? Is it on or off now? Try provide more clues. Elaborate what you mean by "The car is at the highest level, the ride very uncomfortable".

Check both front and rear self levelling valves under the car.

·
Registered
1994 SL600 r129
3 Posts
Hi guys, just find picture of Suspension ROD for rear ADS1 valve - can you give me advice how to take appart the top piston so I can do a reaseal (have oil leak there)? I can take apart the bottom one, but the top one is a puzzle for me. I rather ask before I break something with screwdriver :)... include a picture of the part i need to take out.

Any adice will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
There is a thin lockring retaining the encircled washer. It is missing from the picture - sorry for that. Just look closely Pavel.

·
Registered
1994 SL600 r129
3 Posts
Hi Pazo, I realized there is some kind of encircled washer to secure the cylinder in place but I am not familiar with the washer removing procedure. If there would be tho holes in the washer I know how to remove it .. but this is just circle with the gap. Rewiring harnesses is much more fun for me thank these hydraulic stuff :) ... Thanks

·
Registered
MB 300 CE-90, MB500 SE-92, MB 500S-02, MB SL600 -93
24 Posts
I was able to remove the retaining ring with sharp screwdriver. It is made of spring steel. You could drill a small cavity with ca.2mm drillbit besides the retaining ring in order to give a place where to place the roundended prytool. Of course not to damage anything.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Removing the retaining ring is much easier, if you compress the piston/spring a little into the bore. The spring is stiff so an assistant or vise are good options.

·
Registered
1994 SL600 r129
3 Posts
Thanks guys for your assitance,

I try to take the valve apart this weekend ... I have quite lot of work rebuilding wiring harnesses (all of them unfortunatelly)...

·
Registered
77 450SL, 79 450SLC 5.0, 67 250SL, 61 190SL, 61 190, 62 180;Others:www.cardomain.com/id/challenger_7
30 Posts
Removing the retaining ring is much easier, if you compress the piston/spring a little into the bore. The spring is stiff so an assistant or vise are good options.
Hello friends.
I am not sure if I can continue on this thread or start a new one.
But seeing it contains much info on my query, I thought let me come in here.
I bought a 1990 500 SL Euro specs about a year ago and have done quite a bit of tidying up on it.
On the height leveling, I remember the first day I took possession of the car, I tested it and it did raise the car up and down.
Recently it stopped.
Having found this thread, I sent the car to my mechanic to try and clean the lifting/lowering valve, but he could not locate it. I tried another chap and same result. I even included a photo posted by "Pazo".
Can you advise me where it is located, seeing you have worked extensively on yours. Any photos will to show where it is on the car will be much appreciated too.
Thank you👍

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hello friends.
I am not sure if I can continue on this thread or start a new one.
But seeing it contains much info on my query, I thought let me come in here.
I bought a 1990 500 SL Euro specs about a year ago and have done quite a bit of tidying up on it.
On the height leveling, I remember the first day I took possession of the car, I tested it and it did raise the car up and down.
Recently it stopped.
Having found this thread, I sent the car to my mechanic to try and clean the lifting/lowering valve, but he could not locate it. I tried another chap and same result. I even included a photo posted by "Pazo".
Can you advise me where it is located, seeing you have worked extensively on yours. Any photos will to show where it is on the car will be much appreciated too.
Thank you👍
Are you really sure you have that option in 500 SL? Otherwise the valve is easily found on right side frame rail behind the wheel.

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
834 Posts
SL600 had ADS by default, optional on 500 SL.

Height control valve and the actual raise function is two separate systems. Height control valve, 2 of them, one in front, one in rear, adjusts height of car depending on load, connected to the sway bar.
Raise car function, is a small piston connected between the sway bar and the Height control valve, basically it simulates heavier load on car=car raises to adjust.

Either these pistons failed or electric issue, most likely you need to take the pistons apart, clean and they will work, when Spheres break there will be debris in the fluid....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have not seen a -90 by myself, but I believe you are wrong, or the system would be completely different from the ADS I've seen.
Yes, I mean that ADS1 only available. Operated by the switch next to head light switch inside cabin. The piston attached to front sway bar as you described. 2 -or 3 to be accurate- different heights depending on the switch operated or speed from ABS-sensors.

·
Registered
77 450SL, 79 450SLC 5.0, 67 250SL, 61 190SL, 61 190, 62 180;Others:www.cardomain.com/id/challenger_7
30 Posts
Are you really sure you have that option in 500 SL? Otherwise the valve is easily found on right side frame rail behind the wheel.
I have the switch on the left next to the light switch, and I tried it when I first received the car a year ago and it worked perfectly well.
The mechanic I showed it to was expecting to see a sort of hydraulic shock absorber, a pump, an oil reservoir for it and a bunch of small pipes going to them to effect the hight control.
But from what I am understanding here is that there is nothing on the shocks but rather the control is effected onto the sway bar?
Please advise and any photos taken from under the car will sure clear the mystery form me and my mechanic who is not familiar with such a system.
The car came loaded with extras, and I will try to figure out how to post some photos.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
Challenger_7, see the attached photo, courtesy of GUSMB. It is from the right front wheel side, plastic cover removed. The round solenoid on the left is for height control and behind, attached to the sway bar is height control rod with hydraulic pistons. The rod should change length when you operate your manual height control switch (engine running). There is a similar rod attached to the rear sway bar.

Hope this clarifies...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Challenger_7, see the attached photo, courtesy of GUSMB. It is from the right front wheel side, plastic cover removed. The round solenoid on the left is for height control and behind, attached to the sway bar is height control rod with hydraulic pistons. The rod should change length when you operate your manual height control switch (engine running). There is a similar rod attached to the rear sway bar.

Hope this clarifies...
[/QUOTE
Many thanks buddy.
This will surely give me something to start my search with :)
Thanks for your reply and for GUSMB's photo.

Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
There are some stuff to read here....:
Thanks ever so much for the link GUSMB which is telling me all that I need to know. Very helpful indeed.
I went to my parking lot the other day, took the front right (Passenger side) wheel off and took some photos.
Here are 2 of them, telling me I do not have it. I also do not have the small oil container next to the washer reservoir :(
Two main questions here:
1. What is the height control switch near the headlight switch doing there as shown in my photo above.
2. I can swear that when I first got the car, I was curious about this option, tried it and it did move the car up and then down. I saw it as I aimed the bonnet against the wall in front of me as well as I felt the car creeping up against my leg, as I had my leg on the floor whilst still sitting in the car ?!?! Could this have been a placebo effect :unsure:
Is there anyway to find out if it was indeed there and removed. It sounds crazy but I need to get it out of my mind once and for all.
As I also have a switch for making the shocks harder or softer, is this feature controlled by the same equipment or is it something totally different?
Thanks again for any advice.
In the meantime, I have also contacted a good friend at the Mercedes Benz Classic Center - USA and asked him to help me get the Data Plate information based on the VIN # of the car to see if it came with this feature.

Cheers

41 - 60 of 95 Posts