Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
MB CLS550 -09, MB SL600 -94, MB 560SL, MB 170s, Austin Healey Sprite
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
As above, yes, the system bleeds itself, all systems with a reservoir eventually does, however the pump still has to work for that. If the pump has a airpocket it will not work=no circulation=no self bleeding.

·
Registered
1992 W124 E300-24v 2.8 Sportline
10 Posts
As above, yes, the system bleeds itself, all systems with a reservoir eventually does, however the pump still has to work for that. If the pump has a airpocket it will not work=no circulation=no self bleeding.
Aha!

Ill check that out and post back. Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
1992 W124 E300-24v 2.8 Sportline
10 Posts
It's fixed, it rose pretty much immediately after setting both levers to fill on front and rear axles

Should've read the manual better :grin

·
Registered
Sl300-24, 1992
13 Posts
Hello, I have just bought a sl300-24 with ADS ( unusual for these cars I know). The car is very high in the front and lower in the back. Suspension is very stiff - I believe there is no suspension at all.
Any held highly appreciated.

·
Registered
1997 SL600
15 Posts
Agreed. You may also have a level sensor mis-adjusted or broken. Does it move up and down with the rocker switch on the dash by the headlight switch? Do those lights flash and then turn on solid? Any suspension lights lit up on the dash while the engine is running?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
If spheres are broke all fluid goes into them = level in reservoir dropped = airpocket in pump (might be damaged) = no ride height control. If still fluid in reservoir your pump is ok, spheres need replacement anyway.

What year is it?

I agree with the previous comment, might be your height control valves, but doesn't change the fact, stiff/no suspension = broken spheres or if no fluid at all car would be a lowrider slammed to the ground.

·
Registered
Sl300-24, 1992
13 Posts
Thank you all for the help. Year is 1992, 300 SL/24.
I replaced all spheres, but nothing changed. The rocker switch is not working , light also next to it not working steadily. Suspension light comes and goes when engine is on. Looks like there is he system is not working at all. The problem is that in Greece there is not diagnosis for this car. I tried in 4 mechanics ( incl dealer). I have been advised to remove ADS for a normal suspension, but I do not want it.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
The suspension is made up of different systems that have nothing to do with each other, for instance, raising/lowering switch, that one has absolutely nothing to do with the actual suspension, so forget about that one for now, deal with it later.
When running, do you have fluid returning to the reservoir?

·
Registered
Sl300-24, 1992
13 Posts
No. It seems that is not working at all. Fluid is not moving , nothing happens. Maybe I have to check the ADS module ?

·
Registered
821 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
You have an air pocket in you hydraulic pump, you need to bleed it on the pressure side.
Or, if car has been run with no fluid in reservoir it has broken, can be repaired.

Top up reservoir and bleed pump on pressure side first.

·
Registered
1997 SL600
15 Posts
Sound advice. Do you hear any abnormal/loud noises from the serpentine belt area?

Have you tried to observe any fluid movement with the return line disconnected at the reservoir? The fluid movement/function is purely mechanical/hydraulic so the "electrics" of the system don't come into play for this part. That narrows it down. Pump might be shot, as suggested above.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts