Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I thought I would remove the small rubber cap from the ICV To adjust the travel of the slide in the idle control valve. The little cap in the center of the vacuum end of the valve has to be removed to access the threaded hole used for adjustment. While trying to remove that cap I accidentally pushed the cap into the hole, I can’t even see it in there and it didn’t fall out. I’ve been shaking and banging to no avail. Anyway I put a screw in that threaded hole and pulled on that screw and moved it 1mm out. Now I’m afraid if I use this ICV the vacuum from the engine will suck that little plastic cup into the engine and cause damage. This ICV is one of two spares I have just in case.
Any thoughts and suggestions would be great. Thanks.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,089 Posts
I read of a trick. Put a piece of ladies nylons over the end of a regular household vacuum and use that to suck on the ICV. If the cap comes out, it will be trapped by the nylons and won't go into your vacuum.

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,290 Posts
That seems a good idea, using nylons...
I'd give that a shot..

I'm not sure my nearly always very patient wife would agree though..

:)

·
Registered
1990 420 SEC
195 Posts
"I'm not sure my nearly always very patient wife would agree though.."
Some married men say it is easier to beg for to being forgiven than beg for permission.

·
Registered
1991 560sec. 1969 280SL
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read of a trick. Put a piece of ladies nylons over the end of a regular household vacuum and use that to suck on the ICV. If the cap comes out, it will be trapped by the nylons and won't go into your vacuum.
Great idea Mike. I’ll try that and let you guys how it turned out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts