Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was looking at the linkage on my 300d and noticed that if i floor the pedal from inside, then manually move linkage with my hand, that i am loosing at least .25" of throttle at the pump! which of those linkage rods do i compress/extend to maximize my throttle? i also was wondering if that little teflon roller bushing that runs in the groove on top of the valve cover may need replacing? it has some wear on it and it seems sort of small to have that big groove to run in. i also can mash the pedal and it not even move the inj pump linkage for about .500". thats on top of when maxed out still having more it could open. have i confused everyone yet?

·
Registered
1982 300D Turbo
457 Posts
check to make sure rubber boot coming out of firewall that has linkage connected to it is not rotted out or cracked. Mine was and that was causing me to loose travel in linkage

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah, i did, its good to go as best i can tell. no obvious damage.

·
Registered
1985 300td, 1983 Datsun Maxima Diesel
513 Posts
was looking at the linkage on my 300d and noticed that if i floor the pedal from inside, then manually move linkage with my hand, that i am loosing at least .25" of throttle at the pump! which of those linkage rods do i compress/extend to maximize my throttle? i also was wondering if that little teflon roller bushing that runs in the groove on top of the valve cover may need replacing? it has some wear on it and it seems sort of small to have that big groove to run in. i also can mash the pedal and it not even move the inj pump linkage for about .500". thats on top of when maxed out still having more it could open. have i confused everyone yet?
Hi

I recently asked the same question (Throttle linkage question). There is a lot of slack in my roller/groove setup that has to be taken up before there any movement of the rod to the injector pump. I also thought the roller to be worn out because it looked so small in relation to the groove. I ordered another roller from the dealer and it ending up being the same size as the one I had.

The replies I received said that my setup pictures looked normal and that others also had the slack.

I never did get an answer as to the purpose of the grove & roller setup with its built-in slack and delay in activating the injector pump. It makes no sense to me.

I hope you uncover additional information on the subject.

Regards

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Its only used on the automatics, partially due to cruise and detecting off idle for the the trans afaik. The important part is that the arm hits the bolt on the back of the ip.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so you think i should adjust/lengthen that rod to get max throttle?

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
I think you should by the FSM for $20 and follow the copious direction in there. Short of that start by adjusting the down link that goes behind the IP. I could show you this weekend perhaps. Which hill are you hiding under?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
actually not hiding under any hills. thanks for the offer, but will be busy cutting grass and easter stuff all weekend. i went to buy some benz stuff in dawsonville yesterday and found a soaking wet, but all there, haynes manual. it will only take about 12 years for it to dry out, but i will look in there and see what they have to say. i guess i could just as easily compare it to my other diesel too. when you floor it, IP is maxed.
BTW, if you needed an injector nozzle, where would you buy it? i think if my new rack bolt that is on the way doesnt fix my problem, i may have a bad injector/nozzle.

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
actually not hiding under any hills. thanks for the offer, but will be busy cutting grass and easter stuff all weekend. i went to buy some benz stuff in dawsonville yesterday and found a soaking wet, but all there, haynes manual. it will only take about 12 years for it to dry out, but i will look in there and see what they have to say. i guess i could just as easily compare it to my other diesel too. when you floor it, IP is maxed.
BTW, if you needed an injector nozzle, where would you buy it? i think if my new rack bolt that is on the way doesnt fix my problem, i may have a bad injector/nozzle.
Nozzles, cwattz (sp) sells rebuilt poptested injectors with monark nozzles. Hard to beat his pricing. Do not get the reman Bosch injectors the nozzles are made in india/china.

I ask about hills because I will be around Blue Ridge this weekend, we could compare cars :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
blue ridge is quite west of me. about 45 miles. i am sure your 300d will out do mine as of now anyway. i am looking for some non-ghetto, factory 17" wheels for my old benz. i have a set i am looking at on craigslist, but with no job, $400 might as well be a million.
so i assume you are saying dont buy injectors from autohaus? they are reman bosch i believe. do you have a website/phone number for this other place?
if i just had a good used one to try i would be happy. i think i have a bad one, engine sounds like its skipping sometimes, especially below 1500 rpms. sounds different at tailpipe versus my other diesel.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts