Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Adjusting Halo Projectors--does this look right ?

A little history. I hit a deer, so replaced front end sheet metal, bumper cover, etc.. the stock headlamp was $300+ a side/each. These aftermarket projectors were less than $300 for the pair.

Back to the projectors.

I have absolutely no experience with these types of headlamps, and have only found vague info regarding adjusting these things. I have found the bottle cap knobs that allow for adjusting the vertical and horizontal axes, and have taken a shot at adjusting them. Of course, I don't know what I doing.

The light cast onto my garage door, from each side (each headlamp) is horizontal, and then the light angles upwards on the passenger side. You can see the sharp angle of the light rising upwards, as it is cast on the garage doors.

Is this rising angle normal for projectors ?
Can the inner lenses be rotated ?

I include images of the cast light with the low beams and the high beams. Is this what they are supposed to look like, or what ?

Attachments

·
Registered
2000 CLK 55 AMG
137 Posts
Adjusting Halo Projectors--does this look right ?

A little history. I hit a deer, so replaced front end sheet metal, bumper cover, etc.. the stock headlamp was $300+ a side/each. These aftermarket projectors were less than $300 for the pair.

Back to the projectors.

I have absolutely no experience with these types of headlamps, and have only found vague info regarding adjusting these things. I have found the bottle cap knobs that allow for adjusting the vertical and horizontal axes, and have taken a shot at adjusting them. Of course, I don't know what I doing.

The light cast onto my garage door, from each side (each headlamp) is horizontal, and then the light angles upwards on the passenger side. You can see the sharp angle of the light rising upwards, as it is cast on the garage doors.

Can the inner lenses be rotated ?

I include images of the cast light with the low beams and the high beams. Is this what they are supposed to look like, or what ?
That looks right for a left hand drive car.

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Question remains:

Thanks

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys.
Have been reading plenty on adjusting projectors--most of it vague.
Found precise detailed info on another website.
Here's a link:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/images/Aim.pdf

Had adjusted my lamps, but want to do it again now that I have better info.
Currently snowing, so will take a shot at adjustment in a day or so.

Anyway, yes, the angled rise is normal for projector headlamps.

Will post a follow up afterwards.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
here you go:

Attachments

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
I never liked the headlights on those before but I think yours look really good. The black car helps with them. Those headlights always looked Dodge Neon to me. No offense. :)

You have one too many stars on the front. (lose the one on the hood)

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
No offense taken. :cool: They look really good on the black cars.

...I don't think I can ever get rid of the hood ornament, that's the aiming reticule for my rocket launcher. :D

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The deer left his calling card on my original hood emblem.
Gotta go, Cowboys are playing the dog killer. Game time. Later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 CLK430, 2000 CL500 both silver with black interior. 2005 C230Kompressor Sport Red with Blk Int
90 Posts
Ooo. Pancho that's what I'm talking about! The right amount of stars!

BENSIN: It would look much cleaner with a delete plate you can buy at the stealership. IMO! Do what you wish. :)
I agree. Two stars looks dumb. There is a reason Mercedes makes cars with a hood ornament or a star in the grille, but never both.
It looks like the hood ornament is saying "mercedes"
and the grille is saying, "in case you didnt see the small hood ornament ...MERCEDES AGAIN BITCH!" :eek:

·
Registered
85 190e/8v & 89 420 SEL
1,073 Posts
Yeah. Vanity!

I tease my wife about her Gucci and Louis Vuitton purses that have the "LOOK AT ME" pattern on them. She likes the Mercedes with the big grille star that screams "LOOK AT ME". I'm like "You would like that baby, you would. F'n show off."

Sorry to get off the subject.

·
Registered
'11 Santa Fe LTD V6 AWD-Navi, '99 CLK 320 (traded for family mover), '96 200SX (SOLD) :(
528 Posts
I'm still messing around with the aim on mine. I feel like I'm driving with the high beams on since the low beams on the projectors are so bright. The cut off is very crisp and precise, I found it took a little getting used to, not like the factory lamps that seem to flood everything with light. The angle upwards in the cut off is for street signs, etc. on the side of the road. On a right hand driver they shoot up to the left instead.

HTH
Marc

·
Registered
Hopes & Dreams
1,418 Posts
I really like the hood ornament, and I don't think that the big star grille looks good all blacked out, it also looks better than stock. If there was a grille like that without the star, I would black that out and put it on there.

...besides, you want to talk about looking dumb, let's talk about putting an AMG badge on a 430.

·
Registered
2000, 430CLK Cabriolet
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Thank you for your kind words.

Chrome would probably go better with blue, but, all my motorcycles are black, and all my cars are black, and most of my suits are black, etc., so, my opinion Re. colors, should be taken with a grain of salt. I liked black before it was cool.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts