Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
The dealership tells me that the wheel bearings on the 01 E55 AMG need to be adjusted. Can someone run through the procedure me? Or if you can point me to a DIY, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Hi,
The dealership tells me that the wheel bearings on the 01 E55 AMG need to be adjusted. Can someone run through the procedure me? Or if you can point me to a DIY, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
I'm assuming you're talking about the front wheel bearings? If so, the procedure is in the stickies in this sedan forum.

However, if you're anywhere upwards of 85,000 miles, I would recommend pulling, cleaning, inspecting and repacking (or replacing if they show damage/unacceptable wear) them rather than just adjusting them. It's a lot of labor and too expensive for a dealership visit, but you can bang it out in an afternoon for $20 in parts (two seals and a tube of factory green grease) assuming you don't have to replace any of the bearings. I typically recommend folks do this when replacing their front rotors if they are in that 85K plus range since the labor is almost the same at that point, just remove the hub and bearings, prise out the seal, and get to it. From that point it's perhaps 20 minutes to clean, inspect, repack and reinstall. You can also clean all the gook from the ABS ring on the inside of the hub while you're there. ;)

Good luck.

·
Registered
1999 E320 Black on Black
162 Posts
Check the stickies. It's in there. I had a dial and bought the Harbor Freight magnetic mount to adjust them. Mine had very slight play, but enough for a shop to notice (and me). I ended up turning the lock nut about 1/3rd of a turn to get the correct amount of play.

·
Registered
500SE AMG, E350 4matic, GL 450
5,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did you ask the dealer why he thought you need to do this?
There was play in the wheel. I can hear the whirl sound when driving too. I have done wheel bearings before. The toughest part is removing and reinstalling races if needed. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Pain getting that green grease though. Seems like the dealership is usually out of it.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
There was play in the wheel. I can hear the whirl sound when driving too. The have done wheel bearings before. The toughest part is removing and reinstalling races if needed. Other than that it is pretty straight forward. Pain getting that green grease though. Seems like the dealership is usually out of it.
I ordered it online with the seals and some other stuff. I think it was partsway, but it might have been rmeuropean. autohausaz didn't have it at the time.

If you can actually hear it, I'd definitely remove the bearings to clean and inspect them.

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
Does AMG W210 come with 17" or larger?
My '01 Sport has the 17" wheels. It is not as quiet as the '99 with 16" wheels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts