Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1994 E320
1,730 Posts
There also appears to be an ultra-soft-and-slow mode, where the tranny starts in second gear and shifts to third at about 2,000 RPM. I get that effect if I let the car idle and roll away with barely any pedal at all. Could be just the way this car runs, I don't know.
Precisely.

·
Registered
2003 ML320, 2017 C300, 2009 Smart Car Brabus
180 Posts
RE: quick shifts

I had both mufflers removed and replaced with an after market. I also had the piles replace with 2 1/2 pipe and let me say "WOW" the car is a lot louder and and more fun to drive.

·
Registered
MB 300D turbo 1993, MB 1989 300E converted to diesel
33 Posts
I want to adjust my transmission !

Hello!

What an interesting point that of yours! This is something a very few might know about. In fact, the only remedy I was looking for is to change my differential.

I put a diesel engine in my MB W124 300E, and it is too slow at start and up the hill, needing such adjustment. Would you please help me do it?

Maybe a more explicit explanation and I will try it myself. If I cannot, I will ask help from my mechanic.

Looking forward to apply your ideas, sincerely,

Oldbeaver (Jose) Viña del Mar, Chile. Forester, 61 years old.

Note: please, note that my mother´s language is Spanish. Due to that, explain me what to do as to children (ha, ha). Pictures will be very wellcome.

Today I adjusted my transmission at the throttle. I made so it changes gears more easily. Let me tell you it makes such a big difference. Now on the freeway all I do is tap the pedal and it downshifts. The car is so much quicker than before. It also holds gears much longer which I like because it reminds me of a manual. I would urge anyone to try it, if you don't like it you can always set it to the original position.

Attachments

·
Registered
87 300D
2 Posts
Has anyone checked these out?

I am new to MB just bought a 87 300D and this product (link below) seemed like a good idea. I think it is kind of ridiculous that it starts in second gear anyway. First gear starts would bring any of these cars alive I would think. My car has plenty of power EXCEPT under 20 mph. Any thoughts???? Thanks Dave

I am in no way affiliated with this just looking to improve my MB.

eBay Motors: Mercedes First Gear Start Module , w126,w140,w124,r129 (item 150241614466 end time May-05-08 14:25:55 PDT)

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
So does anyone have the specs or procedures
of the proper cable adjustment for a 93 400e?

Should it have a little bit of slack or be pretty tight? :confused:

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
in the rest position, the cable should have about 1mm of slack. that's way it is on my coupe and it revs to 7k all day. :)
Ok thanks

I just did the 1st gear switch mod (per 2phast)
(not the complete wire job to the rear window lockout switch, but just left it in the 1st gear ON position and tucked in under and out of the way)
it's a lot more responsive from a stop and at low speeds

I wanted to fine tune the cable to make sure it's at the optimum position

·
Premium Member
'92 300TE 4matic 280,000miles, '92 300TE 4Matic 'Ice Blue Metalic' 101,000miles
10,467 Posts
in the rest position, the cable should have about 1mm of slack. that's way it is on my coupe and it revs to 7k all day. :)
Are you talking about the throttle cable or the Bowden cable? Once the throttle cable is set, I was told to move the plate and set the Bowden cable to actuate at exactly the moment the plate moves-no slack.

Kevin

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Are you talking about the throttle cable or the Bowden cable? Once the throttle cable is set, I was told to move the plate and set the Bowden cable to actuate at exactly the moment the plate moves-no slack.

Kevin
yes, the top throttle cable mounted horizontal (not the lower Bowden cable that is mounted at an angle)

·
Premium Member
10,467 Posts
OK...so 1mm slack in the top throttle cable and no slack in the Bowden....are we agreed?

Kevin

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts

·
Registered
1997 S320W, 2001 VW Jetta Wolfsburg, 1991 VW Jetta GLI, 1987 VW GTI (1994 E320T-GBNF)
157 Posts
On the muffler delete.... when my dual inlet/single outlet center muffler rusted out I replaced with a Y pipe which ends up 2.5"dia.

Then when my rear rusted out, I replaced the rest with 2.5" and an inexpensive super turbo muffler.

It's loud, but not crazy loud under acceleration. Cruising is fine, no drone unless. Partial throttle, like to maintain speed up a hill on the hwy is a bit louder.

If you try a similar route, I suggest adding a resonator. It helps smooth out the exhaust pulses and eliminates the sound I can only describe as a cackle. I plan to add a small glass pack resonator after the cat to reduce the cackle.

Steve

·
Premium Member
10,467 Posts
On the muffler delete.... when my dual inlet/single outlet center muffler rusted out I replaced with a Y pipe which ends up 2.5"dia.

Then when my rear rusted out, I replaced the rest with 2.5" and an inexpensive super turbo muffler.

It's loud, but not crazy loud under acceleration. Cruising is fine, no drone unless. Partial throttle, like to maintain speed up a hill on the hwy is a bit louder.

If you try a similar route, I suggest adding a resonator. It helps smooth out the exhaust pulses and eliminates the sound I can only describe as a cackle. I plan to add a small glass pack resonator after the cat to reduce the cackle.

Steve
I'm evaluating which final exhaust to do. After the back pipe section rusted out, I drove a month or so without it-didn't care for the sound. Hooked it back up and it's definitely MB-like. I think I want some sort of balance; like a light Euro tune sound, but not Neon Boy Racer/trashy tuner sound, resplendent with ersatz tube. Problem is, there aren't enough custom exhaust examples out there to compare with. I might keep all the same 'boxes' downstream of the cat, but do them more performance oriented. I'm thinking tuned twins at the exit, though.

It's great to read about performance exhausts, but it doesn't tell much about the sound.:rolleyes:

Kevin

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 1992 300TE, 1999 Porsche 911 Cabriolet
368 Posts
One other comment on the shift cable is that after adjusting, mine quickly drops back to second when rounding the tight bend into my neighborhood like it was reading my mind. There is something right about a car that reads your mind and takes care of it before you even notice. I think this is one of those things that makes a W124 so nice.

On the other hand, both the plastic throttle and the shift modulator cable adjustments on mine are extremely worn. There is no more adjustment left and the cables are very difficult to replace so I just adjusted mine as far as they go and it seems fine.

Love it,
Peter

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,430 Posts
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/722.3and722.416_transmission_adjustments.html

I located some defective vacuum lines and replaced them. Now my transmission shifts too fast but pulls much harder. Do I turn the T clockwise or counterclockwise ? Easier to ask rather than jacking the car up repeatedly.:D

The PO stated when I bought the car that he had turned the T on different occasions. Also the linkage on intake manifold has been fiddled with as well.

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
I located some defective vacuum lines and replaced them. Now my transmission shifts too fast but pulls much harder. Do I turn the T clockwise or counterclockwise ? Easier to ask rather than jacking the car up repeatedly.:D
may want to loosen/tighten your cable to the tranny on the throttle linkage to adjust shift timing :thumbsup:

counter clockwise on the T (on vacuum module) will lessen how hard it shifts

it's all explained here (as stated previously)
http://www.mercedesdismantlers.com/722.3and722.416_transmission_adjustments.html

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 91 Mercedes 300CE, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,430 Posts
Yeah, just wanted to verify via an individual, rather than some random businesses website I've never heard of. Thanks

·
Registered
00 Audi TT & 00 E320 4M
1,547 Posts
Yeah, just wanted to verify via an individual, rather than some random businesses website I've never heard of. Thanks
Unfortunately, without the proper measuring tools it will mean trial and error dialing in. (aka: jacking up for the T adjustment. Having jack ramps would make this easier) :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
18,430 Posts
What tool do I need? I have many.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts