Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, here is one for all those Ozziemoggers with ex ADF mogs.

Is there an off-shelf locking cap that will fit the ADF fuel tank ?

I am also thinking of shortening the neck - anybody done that ?

Failing finding a suitable cap, I may well replace the whole neck with one that does have a lockable cap.

I see Brett's Truck has some Hino units that might fit - but their description contradicts their photos wrt dimensions - I have an enquiry in and will update as soon as I hear back.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Krietpiel ,

For information , the tank for the ADF U1700L was manufactured by Hilton Engineering Australia (a company in Melbourne) . The name tag is welded on the bottom of the tank near the drain plug.
The cap of the ADF U1700L is a screw cap but do not look the same as your picture

http://www.hiltonmanufacturing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Hilton-Catalogue-Fuel-Tanks-2017.pdf

Hope that you will find what you are looking for.

Also , your boots that you sell a few month ago are still for sale ? Does it will fit a U1300L ?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Krietpiel ,

For information , the tank for the ADF U1700L was manufactured by Hilton Engineering Australia (a company in Melbourne) . The name tag is welded on the bottom of the tank near the drain plug.
The cap of the ADF U1700L is a screw cap but do not look the same as your picture

http://www.hiltonmanufacturing.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Hilton-Catalogue-Fuel-Tanks-2017.pdf

Hope that you will find what you are looking for.

Also , your boots that you sell a few month ago are still for sale ? Does it will fit a U1300L ?
Hello steve, Thanks for that. I see they make mostly alu tanks. Also the necks are for the most part 76mm - interesting. I suspect the ADO tanks are custom made - just tax payer's dollars at the end of the day :grin

I will keep on looking - I have found some 105mm necks with lockable caps in the UK. I have been thinking of shortening the neck anyway, so that welding on a new neck may be the go.

The boots are for a U1550 as far as I can make out and too large for the 1300. But someone else might know for certain. I still have them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Krietpiel for the infos about the boots .
And sorry that Hilton Engineering do not have what you are looking for.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Krietpiel for the infos about the boots .
And sorry that Hilton Engineering do not have what you are looking for.
Cheers.
Hello Steve, Thanks - every bit of info helps the collective - I now know where to get the rubber strips for the strapping :smile

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My mistake on U1700 tank cap

When you assume things - it can be risky :grin
I have assumed my tank was ex U1700 because of its military origins. Quite a few things have now confirmed my mistake. It is military, but interestingly appears to be ex USA rather than UK. The plumbing uses 1/2" NPT threads ( which is easily mistaken for BSPTT. However, the clincher was the screws that held the safety vent and sender in place. The were self-threading 8-36 UNC screws. Going into less than 1mm thick sheetmetal was not my idea of secure mounting, so I have replaced them with nutserts and bolts.

The filler neck appears to be an old style 3.5" ordnance style - I suspect a 90mm cap as used in Renault trucks will work and I am going to order one eventually.

Yesterday I spent a nervous hour re-welding the shortened neck and now epoxy painting is in progress.

I have also cleaned up the vent - it is a typical 2 way affair - ball bearing to let air in/stop fuel from splashing out - and a larger spring valve that will give at about 10psi burst protection I am guessing. Pics of vent below - in case someone recognizes it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still cleaning/painting/fixing....
It was the turn of the straps today - the end studs were somewhat mangled, so I thought it best to replace - to my surprise, I uncovered a clue as to the origins of this somewhat mysterious tank. A quick Google did not throw up anything, but it is the best clue thus far.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
So your Unimog got a Ford tank ! !!!!

For info , the ADF through Graysonline was selling some Unimog tank a few months ago , they went for about $169 at the auction .(so you need to add 6% + 10% GST = AU$197.05 each). i just bought one.
Next time , if i see one , i will let you know so you can bid on it and i will pick it up for you.

Fuel Tank, Unimog Auction (1045-5034009) | GraysOnline Australia

Cheers

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Steve, But I should be OK now as I am keeping my original 90l tank, so have a total of 220l. Enough to get me around the outback :smile
BTW, my mog also has an overdrive made for FORD by Advance Adapters - so I am just keeping up with my "tradition" of adding non-oem bits :devil

·
Registered
25 Posts
The most important thing is that the Mog is running what ever part you are using to make it work.
I have never heard about the overdrive made by Advance Adapter . Are you happy with it ?

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
2 Participants
steeve 09
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing