Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
85 280ce 5-speed / 83 280ce
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from the forum for a while but wanted to share my latest purchase. Picked up an 85 280CE 5-speed from Tulsa. The body and mechanicals are in very good condition. The front seats and wood trim need some attention though. I've got a set of grey SEC seats that will look good in this car. I'm changing the clear corners and removing the front spoiler. IMO the spoiler looks funny without the side skirts.
Here's a pic from my phone. I'll have to take some better pics when I get the chance.

I don't know if anyone remembers this car. I went back through all of my 123 photos and found this one:

I didn't remember who originally posted it. Anyone else?

Anyway, I'm having a hell of a time driving it. I drove it from Tulsa to Houston without any troubles.

- Richard

·
Premium Member
99 SLK230 Kompressor, 5 Speed Manual
1,117 Posts
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

If it weren't a five speed, it wouldn't have even drawn a second look from me. Your plans for it sound very good.

Congrats!

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Looks good! What did you get it for?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Isn't that like asking a Lady how old she is...? haha Seller was asking $5K, I paid less.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
Sooooooooo how much for the spoiler?

·
Registered
Mercedes 300te
1,970 Posts
It was a forum member before who owned the car.. Forgot his name already..
Nice spoiler...:)
Winmutt: Looking for a spoiler?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yah, it's a Zender spoiler. I have the same one with side skirts on my 83. The blue one is not in great shape when you look at it closely. Cracks in the paint, don't think a flex additive was used. And one of the mounting tabs, towards the center, is broken. These are urethane spoilers so I don't know how easy they are to fix. I would be tempted to bond in a metal strap to replace the one tab.
As far as selling it, I'd practically give it away if I didn't have to box it up to ship it. Winmutt, if you're serious, PM me and we can work something out.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Yep, that was a member's car (well, it still is :))

Great buy, it's one unique ride with all the desirable items in one package. Hopefully it still has the "original" feel to it. Normally when a ride has been modified in one way or another, it will feel "used" but from what I've seen before it seems that car has been VERY well taken care of.

I just prefer to start from a car that has not yet been modified from stock. The exception was my 190E, it was still stock but a few modifications have been done prior.

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
I've been away from the forum for a while but wanted to share my latest purchase. Picked up an 85 280CE 5-speed from Tulsa. The body and mechanicals are in very good condition. The front seats and wood trim need some attention though. I've got a set of grey SEC seats that will look good in this car. I'm changing the clear corners and removing the front spoiler. IMO the spoiler looks funny without the side skirts.
Here's a pic from my phone. I'll have to take some better pics when I get the chance.

I don't know if anyone remembers this car. I went back through all of my 123 photos and found this one:

I didn't remember who originally posted it. Anyone else?

Anyway, I'm having a hell of a time driving it. I drove it from Tulsa to Houston without any troubles.

- Richard
So you were the guy who drove to Dallas to get a mint dash.
Woken by a knock on the door this morn - PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great. Since you are in Houston would love to see your new CE.
Hey DoktorNo,
We'll have to set something up and actually do it. I had e-mailed you about a year ago to come see your TE 5-speed but never made it out there.
- Richard

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1985 300cd
77 Posts
Yep, that was me. I stopped by on my way through Dallas and bought the dash he had. He had a CD in the car port and a couple more coupes in the back yard. I haven't been over to PeachParts in a long time. Will have to respond to his post.
Me likee This car.
Bill could we find out what the front wheel width and et is, You mentioned they were 16's and I thought 8" in front -But.......

·
Registered
85 580CE 5-speed
41 Posts
Resurrecting a very old thread. Found the original post almost by accident and just had to comment.

This was my car from 2001-2006, when I sold it to a friend in Claremore, OK. It was exceptionally well cared for until 2007, if you get my drift. After that, this beautiful car was ridden hard and put up wet, until it landed at the shop of my friend's mechanic. I seriously thought about heading Tulsa way and seeing about bringing it back but quickly pulled back from that idea once The War Department caught wind of it.

As I recall, the car was originally sold to a physician in Belgium (hence the fog light coloring) and was imported to the U.S. in ... doggone, I'm drawing a blank ... I think the late eighties or early nineties. A down-to-the-bare-metal-all-trim-off-and-glass-and-moldings-removed repaint was performed by the guy I bought it from (I think he was the third owner, but might've been just the second) in the original "Diamond Blue Metallic" in about 1999 to a very high standard. Leather replaced the euro-cloth at about that same time.

I used the car as a daily driver for about two years or so, when I moved from Baton Rouge to Golden, CO and started putting it in local car shows. It was for those shows that I'd unbolt the grill from the hood and attach it so it would cover the radiator area. Because it was usually quite different than anything else at the shows it would garner a pretty fair amount of attention (the giant polished M110 rocker cover always helped to grab viewers' attention).

I ditched the 14" Bundts in about 2003, replacing them with the Ronals (which look better, I think, on the 123 than on any other car, Mercedes or otherwise). Put the front spoiler on at about that same time. Always kept my eyes peeled for the matching rocker moldings and a trunk lid spoiler but didn't find `em before selling the car.

Decided in December of 2006 that it was time to build some American Iron, so I sold the CE and bought a very ugly example of a 1970 455 GTO. Spent four years restoring that before putting it into the local show scene. A little more than a year ago I figured it was high time to get back into a Euro car so I sold the Goat and bought a 1980 Porsche 930.

Overall, this CE is certainly on my list of top five cars owned, and for a non-dealer I've owned a few (the 930 makes 66 for me). It's the only factory five speed I've ever actually seen - heard of one or two over the years but never laid eyes on one. I kept the original five speed shift knob as a memento. If you still have the car (or know who does) and would prefer it over the wooden one that was likely still in it when you got it, I'll send it to you for the price of shipping - if you can assure me that the car has been, or is being, returned to a proper condition.

Finally, and for what it's worth, my friend is still my friend but it's not likely I'll ever sell him another one of my cars ...

Sorry for running on. I've never been accused of having brevity as one of my strong suits.

Norm

1 - 20 of 20 Posts