Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A very basic question here:
Is it possible to add XM to the Bose system in the new C230 Coupe?
I was under the impression that it was so I purchased:
(1) Alpine XM Tuner - TUA-T020XM
(1) Alpine RF Modulator - CRA-1667RF
(1) Terk SR2 Roof Mount Antenna

My local installer then told me that it can't be done because of the fiberoptic network. Is this true? Doesn't this thing have a normal antennal cable for the modulator to connect to?
Calling MB yielded the same response, although the guy was "95-98% sure" and told me to call back Monday to speak to a tech.
Anyone with any experience in this area, or do I just need to return the stuff?[?]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Re:

Well I was just looking at that tuner on Alpine's website. I'm not understanding what it hooks up to. I suppose it hooks up to the antenna and the RF Modulator. But how do you control what stations you want to listen to? You can't do this when your MB headunit. And you can't put in an Alpine headunit and keep your existing Bose system either. Sucks huh? The Bose system is incompatible with aftermarket systems. Yes, there are fiber optics, but that is not the primary reason for incompatibilty. I got the Bose system and just pulled the whole thing out of my car to replace it with an aftermarket deck and aftermarket speakers. Oh well...

Jakobud

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re:

The RF controller has a small display that you use to control the tuner. You set your factory radio to one of 12 frequencies that the modulator brodcasts to. I was planning to have the display mounted inside the ashtray area, behind the flip-up door, because the illumination on it is green and not switchable to amber. The problem they are telling me though, is that the new Benz models evidently don't have a normal antenna hook up... hmmm. I know the antenna is integrated with the rear window, but I would think it has a traditional antenna hook-up... I guess I'm wrong though...
Very frustrating...
[xx(]

·
Registered
e-320
33 Posts
its easy

all you need is an antenna adapter well 2 a male and female. wich will run you about 20 bucks and it will hook up to your mercedes radio. its just like any other rf install. forget about were the antenna is all the wires you need are behind the radio

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re:

Cool...
Are you sure? Do you happen to have part numbers? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
e-320
33 Posts
the antenna adapters are made by scosche. you need a
vwab and a vwarb. this is all you n...

the antenna adapters are made by scosche. you need a
vwab and a vwarb. this is all you need. its basically a vw antenna adapters. your local stereo shop should have them.

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update to those interested...

After contacting both mbusa and an experienced audio installer, it is now definite...
Adding an RF modulated source to the latest model coupes is not possible.
Evidently the diversified antenna in the rear window goes into a box, to a ribbon cable and then to a fiberoptic connection. All of the connectiona are proprietary and do not accomodate an antenna adapter.
In October, supposedly, BlitzSafe cables will make an adapter available that will allow an RF connection to the CD changer connection on the headunit. Unfortunately, this means it is either the CD changer or the modulated source. They said a switcher/splitter is a possibility, but not confirmed.

[xx(]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Listen to loweredbenz. He is correct. There are many MB's with RF modulated XM radios ...

Listen to loweredbenz. He is correct. There are many MB's with RF modulated XM radios and/or cd changers. Go to a more knowledgable installer.

For pics of an RF modulated MP3 player go here: http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15460

·
Registered
2002 C230 Kompressor
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One difference....

...that install was done in a C32 AMG. The coupes are, in fact, different. This is straight from MB. Are they lying to me? I dunno...
[B)]

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The coupes in fact are NOT different. They have exactly the same crappy Alpine cassette...

The coupes in fact are NOT different. They have exactly the same crappy Alpine cassette headunits as all the other C's. The only difference between the coupe and the sedans is the number of speakers. If you go over the mbworld.org and do a search you will find several coupes and sedans with RF modulated cd changers, mp3 players and satellite radio receivers.

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
XM antenna

The XM installations I have seen pictures of all havae the antenna mounted below the rear window on the cargo compartment cover. I'll try to get links to some pics later.

·
Registered
2002 ML55K
2,292 Posts
Are these common across all MB's?

Anyone know if the ML MCS has the same connector name? FWIW the connector looks a little like a snap a la an EMI wrist strap connector. Is there a site that lists the various connector names with diagrams for newbies like me?

Finally, is it possible to splice into an antenna cable? I'm assuming that it's just a standard coax, but could I splice in two standard antenna connectors on the way to the stereo to plug an FM modulator in-line?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts