Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I upgraded all the speakers to MB Quart and the stereo to an Alpine. I bought a 10' subwoofer, enclosure and Rock Fosgate 100 Watt amp.<br>
I bought it to installed in the trunk. Soemone told me that once needs to cut holes in the rear etc. for the sound to come through as the MB trunks are quite sealed with stainless steel panels or something similar. I prefer not to alter by making holes unless someone who actually has done it. Also, addition of the subwoofer make a difference in teh low end base. I am not trying to make the car sound like a boom box.<br>
Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i have a 430 clk with mb quartz all around, including the rear deck and an alpine 5 channel power amp. i have a 10' sub in the trunk. i didnt do any modifications to the rear. the sub sounds great.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's true, the MB trunks are sealed quite well, but that doesn't mean you should go around cutting your rear deck without thinking about it....<br> Put it this way, if you like the sound you are getting now, then there is no reason to cut your deck. But, if your like me and like to hear accurate, precise low tunes being produced from your audio system, then you should look into having the rear deck cut to let the sound waves flow. Not perforating the rear deck allows for most of the acoustic energy produced by the woofer to stay in the trunk. Making it sound muffled and incapable of accurate base reproduction. This is O.K. it your main music interest is Rap or Hip Hop (these genre’s are have base emphasized base tones edited into the music that make the muffled sound more desirable, A.K.A: loud and “boom boxy�). But, if you listen to Top 40, Alternative, or classical, cutting the rear deck will allow for more of the natural sound of the instruments to play though the trunk and into the cabin. (Classical music contains the widest range of audible tones in the music world and benefits most from a sub-woofer.)<br> If you decide to cut your rear deck, make sure you have the right tools to do it. The rear deck is made up of some very thick steel. And it you don’t have access to air tools, I’d suggest taking the car to your local audio shop.<br> <br> P.S> I cut my rear deck so that the cone surface of to 10' subs could reproduce thier audio directly into the cabin. They are mounted in a custom box that hold each one in the rear seat headrest well in the rear deck.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true! MB spent a lot of time and engineering to keep sound out of the car interior. The prescription: Bandpass box configured to the Thiel Small Parameters of whichever sub you like. Box should span the width of the back of the trunk and have a partially external port that is 4' square (doesn't whistle like round ports)and protrude above the rear deck by about 1'. If there is a first aid kit, remove it and retain the cover. cut the plastic, leave the cloth cover and feed the bass into the interior of the car. Get carpet from MB dealer to cover box to match trunk. Only the CE has trunk carpet that matches the interior color. 'E''s all have gray carpet. P.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts