Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Set Kit Universal Car Remote Central Lock Locking Keyless Entry System | eBay
I added this to my pickup and it works very well, but pickup had electric locks with switch on the door panel.
I am thinking about adding one to W124 and for 16 bucks why da heck not?
But W124 has pneumatic locks so does anybody knows if the door switch has electrical connectors that activate pneumatic system, or is it all pneumatic?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
89 300E, 98 ML320, 2010 C300 sport, 92 500SL, 84 500SE (Eurospec), 2008 C300 sport
13 Posts
it's pneumatic. The pump to control the locks is directly under the right rear passenger seat. I installed remote locks on my 300E ~10 years ago and they're still working! I'm pretty sure you can get all the parts needed from Crutchfield.com. That's where i got mine. Just call them and talk to one of their advisors. Note: the biggest challenge is to tap into the alarm black box located in the front passenger footwell. If you don't wire the remote lock unit to that box, you'll trip the alarm from time to time. Since the schematics aren't readily available, you'll have to figure out what wires to tap (I remember there being only two). As a final touch, i wired a red blinking LED to the remote lock system and placed it on the center console so that when the the doors locked, the LED starts blinking.

·
Registered
'04 G500, '00 E55 AMG, '90 300TE 4Matic, '82 240D
1,951 Posts
any generic keyless system should work as long as it says it's compatible with pneumatic systems, otherwise it probably won't work. I've seen some on ebay near identical to the one pictured and I believe they were pneumatic compatible.

·
Registered
36,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The system I linked is pretty sophisticated. It has blue LED included and has wires for blinkers, trunk lock, sunroof and windows.
I don't think our W124 has working alarm, so I am not worry about that.
But how the pneumatic system in those cars activate electric vacuum pump? It has to have electric somewhere?

·
Cruise Control
'87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
52,233 Posts
Run a search for the Audiovox AA-925 installs. I've installed this kit in both my 124s -- ~$30

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
Post #5 should have all you need with that system. Yes, there are electric switches in both front doors and the rear hatch on the wagons...not sure about the sedans. But, you don't use the door switches, rather just use the connections directly at the vacuum pump

·
Registered
36,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand that at the vacuum pump location -you have power wire easy accessible, but that would put the LED in pretty useless spot. On my pickup I had power wire for mirrors already on the door, so I did everything there.
On W124 I would think about finding the lock wires coming into the foot well, install the module somewhere under the dashboard, where the LED would be placed on the top.
That also would give me easy access to window switches if I would like add them to the remote operation. Too bad W124 has no remote for the trunk as I love that option coming to the car with heavy load on our other MB.
I will have to study the older topic as it seems to be focused on the wires color on the other module, not on the wire functions. Don't know if combining 2 topics would make sense, or just keep this one separately. I am still on the fence if I want to go into the trouble on son's car, that I use only occasionally ;)

·
Cruise Control
52,233 Posts
You can mount the LED wherever you want. Just splice in a couple of wires and install it in the location you desire.

·
Registered
36,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As always you can do the job at least in 2 different ways. Thanks for giving me idea what the car has. I would have to start with ordering the remote as it takes about 2 weeks to come here from China.

·
Registered
1986 w124 200D
24 Posts
Hi, I also installed it in my rocket (200D W124) by less than $ 10 and I put the blinking light in front and left side near to the front glass, I face small problem that there is a miner delay time between door locking and it still there, but, the system still working properly.

regards,
abanossi :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts