Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I need to add some oil to my york compressor because it has a slight knocking sound when the clutch is engaged. It it possible to add oil through the suction side of the compressor, or do I have to add it another way. Since this is a york style compressor I didn't know if I could use a oil charge can from autozone or not. Please help, I don't want to run the AC until i get some more oil in it so I don't damage it. Its getting hot in Florida. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think you can add oil through the suction port on this old York style compressor.
There are 2 oil fill plugs on the compressor (one on each side). I also have this compressor on my 1972 250C. I took my compressor out, drained all the old oil and refilled in around 12 oz. with new synthetic oil. Now I'm still waiting for new dryer & expansion valve. For more information, take a look at this Service manual http://www.rparts.com/Catalog/Major_Components/compressors/climate_control/cci_section1.pdf

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, What kind of oil do I need to use to top my compressor off? I don't know what is in it right now?

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
he's using R134, so most likely pag oil but he didn't do the conversion so it's possible it might be mineral oil. Is there a way to tell them apart by looking at the oil itself I here you are not to mix the two.

79Mercy you might just consider replacing the compressor and dryer. The compressor is $125 plus $20 to ship

eBay Motors: 1969-1977 Mercedes 280 YORK A/C COMPRESSOR + FREE OIL (item 230243649522 end time May-16-08 11:57:45 PDT)

And the dryer is $17 plus $9 shipping.

$175 and a little more work you have a worry free system this summer.

eBay Motors: Mercedes A/C drier W123 300D 240D 280E 280TE 300T dryer (item 270235571062 end time May-14-08 13:34:35 PDT)

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might as well go ahead and replace it because it is leaking oil from the bottom of the crankcase.

What does you think someone whould charge to pull all the old R134 out, and put new in after I get done replacing everything?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I might as well go ahead and replace it because it is leaking oil from the bottom of the crankcase.

What does you think someone whould charge to pull all the old R134 out, and put new in after I get done replacing everything?
Guess that explains where the oil went. And most likely there is damage to compressor. Did searching on compressor prices yesterday and the one on Ebay is a good deal plus you get oil. If that one goes away he has two others for sale just under drifferent applications so check around.

While you are at it you might as well replace the rubber bushings on the compressor mount.

Your Parts Search Returned 1 Part(s)

autohaus has compressor for 163.75

and drier for 24.14

So the price is not that different and your dealing with someone you can trust and you get everything at one place.

I don't know how much it will cost to recover your R134.

Now is a good time to consider changing to R12a or some of the other more effective R12 replacements tha R134

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is freeze12? If I did change the freon type from r134 to R12 or something else what else do I have to replace on the system? Thanks

·
Registered
1984 Mercedes-Benz 300DT; 1980 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
780 Posts
I just did all that, not with a York compressor, but my system had R12 in it before, with R134a in it now its pretty damn cold, I put 3 cans (12 oz) plus a 3oz booster shot (I actually bought a case of this stuff by mistake, lol).

·
Registered
780 Posts
38 degrees? I dont know about that, I'll take my infrared thermometer next time its warm enough here to get it going, why would you want it that cold??

Speaking of which... found this on another forum, rather amusing:

Attachments

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Help me decide, replace the compressor, or do the above?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Help me decide, replace the compressor, or do the above?

Oh as if thats a tough one, especially with your nice ride, I'd go with the generator on the hood, can't beat a window A/C for circulation.......

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would want to mount the generator somewhere where I wouldn't get uneven tire wear, how bout' the roof? I would have to get a small window unit to fit in the rear quarter window.

All jokes aside, can you really believe that someone would actually do that?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I like the tail light modification, That's like a Car RV you can park t and run generator for TV and AC. He probably has a hot plate on the dash to make coffee as he goes down the road.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts