Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. This is my first post. I'm actually posting it for a non-tech savvy friend who has a 2003 ML 320.

He asked the local dealer about upgrading his truck to have a Navi system and they said it was $2000.

Is this really the case? The video screen is there, so what all is required to upgrade to navi?

Thanks,
Michael

·
Registered
2000 ML430
657 Posts
msgott - 2/15/2005 2:23 PM

Hi all. This is my first post. I'm actually posting it for a non-tech savvy friend who has a 2003 ML 320.

He asked the local dealer about upgrading his truck to have a Navi system and they said it was $2000.

Is this really the case? The video screen is there, so what all is required to upgrade to navi?

Thanks,
Michael
It can be done for under $1000. All you need to Add is the NAV drive to the MCS(plug and play) which is already installed. If you check the group buy section a guy has the DVD nav drive on sale for about $700.

·
Registered
2004 ML 350 & 2005 CLK320
24 Posts
I have done this many times before. Its really really simple especially on a 2003 it would be a crime to take it to the dealer!!!! Its literally removing the the MCS unit which is the entire radio unit with screen then unscrewing some screws, then dropping in a navigation drive (i bought mine for $700 off of ebay), then plugging in wires in the back, then putting the screws back in, then popping the radio back. THe only things your friend would need to purchase for his 2003 truck would be the navigation hard drive and also radio removal tools to take out the radio which i purchased for like $10 bucks from ebay. Also he would need to purchased a DVD so the navigation works. THen you would have to take it to the dealer so they can version code it so the navigation lady speaks to you, or else you will have no sound. So thte total investment is no more than $700 + $10 + $50 (if they charge you to version code it).

It literally takes about 5 minutes not even. THere are instructions somewhere in this forum I could find it for you if you wanted.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If its not too much trouble, I'd love to see the instructions. I looked, but didn't see them....

Just to clarify... the DVD drive attaches to the back of the existing screen or does it get mounted someplace else? In my Acura, the DVD drive is mounted in the trunk....

One more question... Where can he buy the DVD itself?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts