Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am relatively new to the forum, and I would like to ask if anyone has any experience with adding Keyless Entry to their vehicle.

My 2009 Mercedes ML350 has only 38,000 miles on it, and I am on a mission to add the feature.

If you don't have any experience - please don't start commenting that it's "impossible".

Do the vehicles come equipped with required wiring for the new door handles, and such?

I came across a similar thread, and a user claimed that his 08' seemed to have the wiring (I messaged them, and haven't gotten a response yet.)

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,342 Posts
Anything is possible with an unlimited amount of time and money. :D

Are you referring to Keyless Go so you can have pushbutton start? Or just Keyless Entry for the door locks?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Anything is possible with an unlimited amount of time and money. :D

Are you referring to Keyless Go so you can have pushbutton start? Or just Keyless Entry for the door locks?
Hey Planethill,

I am actually referring to both.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,342 Posts
I am a shameless mod’er and retrofitter myself. I’ve looked into Keyless Go and it‘s an expensive proposition. You have to replace the door handles and install multiple antennas in the car. It also needs a special module as well as new keys. If you can scavenge parts from junk yards and eBay you could do it cheaper. Even then, after getting everything installed you will have to have the car SCN coded, which can only be done via Xentry with a legit online subscription (Which means a Mercedes dealer or Indy with a legit system). To buy the parts, missing harnesses and coding I figured it would cost me about $1500 to $1800. Needless to say it’s on the back burner. 😆

That being said, I did read about a guy in Europe who did it succesfully. Also, mid-city engineering (the Smart Key remote start peeps) offered a Keyless Go retrofit-kit at one time. You might give them a call.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a shameless mod’er and retrofitter myself. I’ve looked into Keyless Go and it‘s an expensive proposition. You have to replace the door handles and install multiple antennas in the car. It also needs a special module as well as new keys. If you can scavenge parts from junk yards and eBay you could do it cheaper. Even then, after getting everything installed you will have to have the car SCN coded, which can only be done via Xentry with a legit online subscription (Which means a Mercedes dealer or Indy with a legit system). To buy the parts, missing harnesses and coding I figured it would cost me about $1500 to $1800. Needless to say it’s on the back burner. 😆

That being said, I did read about a guy in Europe who did it succesfully. Also, mid-city engineering (the Smart Key remote start peeps) offered a Keyless Go retrofit-kit at one time. You might give them a call.
Have you checked if your 08' had the required, or are you assuming it has missing harnesses?

Also, I don't understand what "SCN" coding is.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
"Required wiring"*, sorry.

GRE3NE, a little initiative on your part will help greatly. You can Google anything and find out what it means.

As Planet said, you can retrofit it but look at what components are necessary to accomplish the task.

As for the location of the harness, you must remove the right rear panel to see if it exists.

Attachments

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,034 Posts
This is possible, and I seem to recall another forum member (different car, though) who did this. It was expensive, plus, you have to work with an authorized dealer to have MBZ corporate update their permanent records (VDOC) for your car to indicate that it has KeylessGo, and then you have to order new keys for it. II recall that it was ridiculously expensive (like probably more than your car is worth) and he had a hard time getting the dealer to cooperate. Just a new pair of keys will set you back $1,000.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GRE3NE, a little initiative on your part will help greatly. You can Google anything and find out what it means.

As Planet said, you can retrofit it but look at what components are necessary to accomplish the task.

As for the location of the harness, you must remove the right rear panel to see if it exists.
43sqd, I checked the passenger rear panel, and I did not see any wiring that was not being used.
I guess I will have to do the research to see if any harnesses are being sold for the system.

Thank you for your help :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is possible, and I seem to recall another forum member (different car, though) who did this. It was expensive, plus, you have to work with an authorized dealer to have MBZ corporate update their permanent records (VDOC) for your car to indicate that it has KeylessGo, and then you have to order new keys for it. II recall that it was ridiculously expensive (like probably more than your car is worth) and he had a hard time getting the dealer to cooperate. Just a new pair of keys will set you back $1,000.
I don't understand, what's with the new keys?

I have a girl friend that has a 2011 S550 with Keyless GO, and our keys appear to be the exact same.

Worst case scenario, could I just purchase one from eBay and have a locksmith program it?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What is your full vin#? Do you really want to get involved in this?
Out of curiosity, could share the links that you're getting the diagrams and photos from?
I cannot find anything.. and I've been trying really hard to.

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,866 Posts
Out of curiosity, could share the links that you're getting the diagrams and photos from?
I cannot find anything.. and I've been trying really hard to.

As to your question, I know someone.

The original harness is on ebay, but it is only for a GL and is not compatible with an ML

I tried searching Mercedes EPC and looked for your harness but I couldn't find it. I tried my best.

View attachment 2611064

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you for trying :)

Is there any way you could provide me with the electrical diagram for the harness?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,034 Posts
I don't understand, what's with the new keys?

I have a girl friend that has a 2011 S550 with Keyless GO, and our keys appear to be the exact same.

Worst case scenario, could I just purchase one from eBay and have a locksmith program it?
The keys look the same externally, but they are different inside. KeylessGo keys have additional circuitry for the short-range two-way communication needed for its functionality.

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
1,342 Posts
Also, I don't understand what "SCN" coding is.
All options are enabled/disabled in the car's central "brain". With 98% of the options your car didn't ship with, adding the missing parts only get's you half the way. They will be installed, but they wont work as intended until the brain is re-coded to enable the option. This is called "SCN coding" and is an encrypted procedure that must be done with an official Mercedes computer and legit online account as the software syncs up with the master Mercedes database and adds the option in the cars permanent record. They do this because they want to know what options you have in case there is a safety recall. If Keyless Go starts causing horrible accidents, they need to know who has it.

You used to be able to just switch it on in the software, but they have made it harder and harder every year to do that. For example, with my old W163, I added the rain sensing wiper sensor and simply switched it on using my laptop. Boom, fancy wipers! When my wife first got her GLK, I noticed it also didn't have rain sensing wipers. It's a single part, a slightly different sensor, so I found one on eBay and swapped it out. Took 15 minutes. But, it didn't work because the cars brain still thinks the car doesnt have, and isn't entitled to it. I would have to pay Mercedes or an Indy with a legit account to turn it on, which would probably cost more than it's worth. So, it just sits there. Waiting. :)

Simple options that aren't "brain controlled" can easily be added. For example if you didn't have, and wanted to add the 115volt outlet in the trunk area, you can just buy the outlet, inverter and harness, hook it all up, and it works. No SCN coding is needed because it's "dumb"...the brain doesn't control it. Unlike Keyless Go which needs the brain to unlock the doors, turn off the security system, turn on the courtesy lights, etc.

Clear as mud? :D

PS: I have attached your vehicles datacard so you can see exactly what it shipped with from the factory.

Attachments

·
19,034 Posts
All options are enabled/disabled in the car's central "brain". With 98% of the options your car didn't ship with, adding the missing parts only get's you half the way. They will be installed, but they wont work as intended until the brain is re-coded to enable the option. This is called "SCN coding" and is an encrypted procedure that must be done with an official Mercedes computer and legit online account as the software syncs up with the master Mercedes database and adds the option in the cars permanent record. They do this because they want to know what options you have in case there is a safety recall. If Keyless Go starts causing horrible accidents, they need to know who has it.
SCN = "Software Calibration Number", which means that the car's VIN is encrypted into the code for the module. Often, SCN coding is also accompanied by coding of certain options from VDOC (MBZ's online build sheet for the car). All "theft relevant" parts require SCN coding, or, like the EIS and instrument cluster, can only be "install coded" once when they are brand new "virgin" parts. Even though a part requires SCN coding or can only be "installed" once, it still may have various "adaptations" that can be changed dynamically.

There are actually two ways to alter installed options that rely on VDOC and SCN coding. One requires a dealer who is willing to work with with you on this. They can submit retrofit changes to MBZ and have VDOC updated so that when they download the new code, it has the new options enabled. That can be a very costly way to go because (1) dealers charge crazy labor rates and (2) some SCN-coded parts are "one time only" which means you'd have to buy a brand new part in order to have coded. The other way is to use a Chinese clone SDS that has Developer Mode enabled (most do) and then many of these option settings can be changed without SCN coding or updating VDOC or installing a new part.

I really have not researched enough to know what all is involved in a KeylessGo retrofit, but just what I do know about parts, it might actually be less expensive to just buy anther ML that had it factory installed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts