Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ML320
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been hearing that if I add a dual exhaust system to my 2000 ML320 it will improve the MPG and add a little HP as well. I was wondering if anyone here has experiences with this modification. Is it worth it? How much will it cost? Is it DIY?

thanks

·
Registered
2002 ML320
323 Posts
There have been a lot of weird post's lately. It's gotta be a new truck owner thing. Or something is in the air.

For starters where would you hear this being logical, did I miss something? You can't have a true dual exhaust, in Cali it would not even be legal to do. Anywhere else would require serious modification, pipe bending and XYZ. Some things are quite common sense my friend. Do you think this would be cheap on a Benz?

You can add a "so called performance exhaust" with twin tips. Pointless in regards to MPG or HP. Or you can just properly service your truck. Fuel Filter and plugs and such. Panzer tank, slow and steady!

Personally all non sport models look dumb with exposed exhaust and the 55 is the only w163 with a stock dual exhaust. A AMG 55 exhaust upgrade cost 1250 to 2k for the system only without install.

More often then not, the largest gain from a upgraded exhaust is the note, cosmetic, and for performance throttle response. Other mods can be brought out a little better with a better exhaust. I never heard of getting better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
I have had friends that have done a mod, (however not true duals, but legal duals) and have gotten some good gains in hp and due to the decrease in backpressure the engine was able to perform better and they did get a little increase in MPG. Exhaust work can be both expensive. Luckily in my area I have a shop that actually cares for his customer and has very good rates and does not rip them off. Find a shop like that. I don't believe they would charge that much. Also for better gains, I heard Magnaflow was good and they sound AMAZING!!!

·
Registered
2000 ML320
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Robert I am not a new owner as I have owned my ML since 2000, the year i bought it. I had a lot of free time on my hands and I was watching those cars shows on spike tv, I think it was called "extreme 4x4" or something but they kept talking about how changing exhaust system can improve mpg and hp. I am no expert at this kind of stuff and so I just took that shows word for it. Maybe I was wrong too. But back to it being illegal to add a dual exhaust...why is it illegal? I don't understand. My whole intention was to have the same exhaust system just like ML55 has. Does the ML 55 not have a true dual exhaust? I would appreciate some education on the matter.
Thanks

·
Registered
2000 ML430 (Sold)
1,209 Posts
I'm glad this topic came up as I have been thinking of this mod for a while. The ml has a true duel exhaust until it hits the resonator under the rear seat. Duel in, single out. I plan on changing that to two single in, single out ones and dual out the back with tips.
The major delemma is space around the spare tire on mls with it mounted underneath. Mine is no longer with me though as it pissed me off when changing rear springs.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Yea duals should yield some good results, especially if you get hi flow cats, aftermarket muffler and delete some resonators. For me, Id go with Magnaflow as they have given the best power gains, sounds great and don't have drone, if set up properly. Now if you were to combine them with headers and an ecu tune, really good results shall emerge. This single out exhaust isn't really optimal for the performance as it seems pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
2003 ML 500, 1985 735i Euro
85 Posts
I agree muffler choice is crucial. I made that mistake on a 535i I used to own and the drone was very annoying. I'm sure the neighbors loved it at 5 am as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Magnaflow currently does not offer a system for the2000 ML320. What I can suggest is having a look at our universal mufflers. These will give your vehicle a nice deep tone and added performance, MPG's are to hard to guarantee but our customers have stated gains.

For an entire exhaust to be made for you. You would need to contact a shop to see if they can build you one. As for how much it would cost it will depend on where you go to have it done.

Universal Mufflers:
MagnaFlow Exhaust Products - Exhaust Mufflers For Trucks, Suv's, American Muscle, Diesel, & Sport Compact Vehicles

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
I have a Magnaflow "system" installed. True duals straight though. I swapped the Magnaflow muffler for a Flowmaster this year. I like the sound better. Both are awesome though. Magnaflow has hi-flow cats that are great under these.

Yes, a new exhaust does help HP and MPG - but it's within reason. You want to free up some back pressure but not all of it, otherwise the HP/Tq will bottom out. Find a shop who specializes in exhaust (custom) and have a system designed for you. It shouldn't cost a lot of money either. I think I paid $200 in parts and $200 in labor or there abouts. Total time was maybe 4 hours??

One thing I can suggest is adding a resonator in line (something I didn't do). It will cut your drone down and the loud exhaust. I left mine off because it's mainly used off-road only now. Exhaust is there for legality of getting back and forth to the mountains. You want to know what it sounds like...do a YT search for Delta 44 series...my truck sounds exactly the same.

EDIT: Here is a video that I found...this is what it sounds like. Not raspy at top end...mellow at bottom.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
Im sure it sounds a lot better in person than in the video too, I just find that Magnaflow have a distinctive sound that sounds sooo good, not too loud, not too soft

I have a Magnaflow "system" installed. True duals straight though. I swapped the Magnaflow muffler for a Flowmaster this year. I like the sound better. Both are awesome though. Magnaflow has hi-flow cats that are great under these.

Yes, a new exhaust does help HP and MPG - but it's within reason. You want to free up some back pressure but not all of it, otherwise the HP/Tq will bottom out. Find a shop who specializes in exhaust (custom) and have a system designed for you. It shouldn't cost a lot of money either. I think I paid $200 in parts and $200 in labor or there abouts. Total time was maybe 4 hours??

One thing I can suggest is adding a resonator in line (something I didn't do). It will cut your drone down and the loud exhaust. I left mine off because it's mainly used off-road only now. Exhaust is there for legality of getting back and forth to the mountains. You want to know what it sounds like...do a YT search for Delta 44 series...my truck sounds exactly the same.

EDIT: Here is a video that I found...this is what it sounds like. Not raspy at top end...mellow at bottom.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 I6 Super 44 Flowmaster - YouTube

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Im sure it sounds a lot better in person than in the video too, I just find that Magnaflow have a distinctive sound that sounds sooo good, not too loud, not too soft
Only my opinion...but it didn't sound raspy...just too high pitched at WOT. The Flowy almost gets quiet at WOT, it's kinda nice.

·
Registered
87' 190E 16V / 93' 600SL / 02' G500
1,197 Posts
ML 55 does not have a dual exhaust but rather a muffler with a single in and dual outlets. Looking into making it a "true" dual system with AMG tips of course.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
ML 55 does not have a dual exhaust but rather a muffler with a single in and dual outlets. Looking into making it a "true" dual system with AMG tips of course.
The ML320 is the same...except one pipe from the muffler.

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
So adding the muffler to any w163 V8 would yield the ML55 "dual" exhaust?

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
So adding the muffler to any w163 V8 would yield the ML55 "dual" exhaust?
True dual would need the resonator/muffler cut off and separate lines with mufflers welded in.

·
Registered
2000 ML 430
1,588 Posts
The true duel setup would probably yield the best gains, why don't you ask your exhaust shop how much they would charge to fabricate a set of headers for you? Combined it would be very worth it.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
The exhaust runs dual up to the mid muffler so dual into the mid and single out. That's the place I'm going to start. I wish the the 55 was a 63 - which has duals but hey one day...

·
Registered
'02 ML500 (Kleeman headers, tune, AMG ML55 wheels,3.09 diffs, 3rd row seats);
272 Posts
True dual would need the resonator/muffler cut off and separate lines with mufflers welded in.
Right, what I should have said was the ML55 muffler would then give me the stock ML55 setup?

I already have headers, I don't think true dual exhaust would add that much. I can relieve back pressure by going with bigger cats, like 100 cel, which is probably the biggest remaining bottleneck in the exhaust. I suspect it would be similar in effect to true duals.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Lol I was jus asking you in another thread what you did with the remaining exhaust. Looks like you already know you are only as big as your smallest orifice. I like the header idea but they are 60mm the rest of the system runs 40mm so I would be compelled to run 60mm cats and corresponding mufflers and pipe all the way to the bumper. Sounds like you have a great 500.

·
Registered
2005 E320 CDI, 2016 E250
3,199 Posts
Right, what I should have said was the ML55 muffler would then give me the stock ML55 setup?

I already have headers, I don't think true dual exhaust would add that much. I can relieve back pressure by going with bigger cats, like 100 cel, which is probably the biggest remaining bottleneck in the exhaust. I suspect it would be similar in effect to true duals.

Regards,
Jerry
Magnaflow Hi Flow cats will let them breathe right. Pipe it out the the SAME piping down to two new mufflers, or a single dual through muffler. I have one muffler because it fits in place well. the pipes go out the sides, not the back. I wanted all the clearance I could get for off roading...but you can easily pipe yours out the back like a ML55. If you mean cutting an ML55 muffler off another vehicle and welding it onto yours...yes...that would give you that ML55 setup.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts