Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, where does one add coolant to an '87 560SL.

There is not typical radiator cap on the radiator. I checked the reservoir and it has fluid.

On somewhat sharp turns, the coolant low indicator light comes on, then goes off when the car is traveling straight again.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1989 560 SL
1 Posts
Same happens to me in an '89

It's half full and steep inclines and Declines as well as ...

Same happens to me in an '89

It's half full and steep inclines and Declines as well as turns cause the light to go on....

I'll deal with it some other time....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Be sure to post when you get around to it

I haven't really worried about it too much because the engine temperature is still normal and isn't spiking.

Still, I'm guessing there is plenty of fluid in the reservoir, but just enough in the radiator. Seems like none of the coolant in the reservoir is being fed into the radiator.

Just taking a quick glance at it, it seems like coolant boils over into the reservoir when it's really hot, but I don't an apparent route for coolant to make it's way back to the radiator. Maybe I'm just not look hard enough.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Coolant might be low

Finally figured it out.

The coolant reservoir is low. This is where the radiator receives its coolant.

There is a coolant sensor. If the coolant is barely making contact when the car the level, the sensor thinks there is enough coolant. As soon as you make a hard left or right turn, the sensor is no longer in contact with coolant, it thinks there is no coolant and lights up.

If you're getting a coolant low light, then you're sensor is working.

If you've noticed your engine temperature is higher than normal, no coolant low light is coming on and you've got plenty of coolant in the reservoice, then your coolant sensor probably needs replacing. The radiator receives it's coolant from the reservoir.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts