Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody here added a subwoofer and amp to the factory head unit setup? A shop that I spoke with said w140s are very tightly sealed to prevent external noise from coming in. He told me that perhaps getting 2 12" subs in the trunk could do it. Does anybody have any recommendations on how to do this? I am not looking to have alot of bass. Just want to improve the system a little. My concern is that the bass won't get into the passenger compartment from the trunk - I don't want to blast the sub b/c I don't wanna wake up the neighbors either. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
97 S500/ 97 C230
19 Posts
Great I'm into a little "Bump in the Trunk", being that I have modified my S500 here's a couple of tips.
-Correct the trunk is sealed in a way that to get optimum production of your subs you would have to cut a port hole through the steel.[:eek:]
-Also two 12" would do the trick and it's what I think you desire.

Now for recommendations
I have 2 12� Vegas 500 watts a piece w/ 1000 watt Concept Amp single ported box and a Digital cap to relieve the battery of course. This sound extremely well not too much trunk rattle and nice bass felt through the interior of the vehicle. You may want to try a dual- ported box being that it gives you more bass, at the time I didn’t have the extra money for that upgrade. Also you have to remember that there are two extra remotes that you have to get when applying and after market upgrade.

- There's a remote from the radio to the Amp that keeps the engine sound out of your speakers.

- And the other is a remote that turns the Amp off when your car is not running, not expense at all no more then 50 bucks for the two. My total system cost $600 after a little wheeling and dealing.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
what about the stock bose system? Do you still have all that running + the subs?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I planning to have a pro installer do the installation for me. Would they know about the remotes and the digital cap? I don't know anything about audio systems. Do you have to take out the subs to get to your spare tire? If so, I imagine the subs are not bolted or screwed down to the trunk. Also, I believe your car is lowered. What springs did you use and how much was the installation if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
WoW! People on this site and others say doing something like this on a w140 while keeping the stock system is next to impossible. It must sound very good as the stock Bose itself is impressive! Is every speaker including the Bose subs working still? Tell us about the sound.[:)]

·
Registered
97 S500/ 97 C230
19 Posts
Hey you know what, it sounds great! First of all I don't have my 500 lowered, being that the rims actually make it look that way. Second, I just pulled the box foward to take the picture for you guys. The box is not bolted down for the purpose of getting to the spare. Last but not least I love Mercedes and I would drive no other, thanks guys for making this complete for me. Really, i love this site and everyone how contributes.[:D]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those rims look great. I have been thinking about getting h&r springs for better cornering/handling. regarding the subs, I think I will get an used one from ebay for around 200 or so and have a pro install it. I'm not planning to cut a hole from the trunk into the passenger comparment. the reason I don't want to spend more is because I'm not sure if this is going to work w/o cutting the hole. at least if it is not good enough...I'm only down 200-300 including installation. I'll let you guys know. thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I done mine myself it took me 4 hours including installing an alpine head unit and cd player. the rear parcel shelf has room for four speakers two were missing in my car giving to port holes one for each 12inch sub sounds the dogs nuts now!!!

·
Registered
420SEL
1,286 Posts
Ok I will do this if possible. I have a great box with 12's in it. A great JBL amp as well, a proven combo in my lincoln that would rattle the mirrors.
I just want to play with this.
So how do i get a pre amp signal to the JBL amp??? Do i get it from the wires going to the amp?? and if so, from which speakers? Front, back? I got the remoe and power wires figured out, so thats not a problem.
Just where do I get a signal for the amp, sound signal?

Thanks
dave

·
SL55, 300SE, GL450, Daytona 955i
10,293 Posts
I have 2 12"s IMPP pioneer (1995) in the trunk, and a Sony X-plode 444W amp. they sound great without any mods to the insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts