Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to run a new lead for my stereo's head unit (for some reason whenever it's connected to the power, not the interior lighting lead, 50% of the interior lights go out), and was wondering how difficult it is to install a new fuse in one of the empty spots in the fuse box. Has anyone ever done this? I'm going to pick up some 12 or 14 gauge power wire right now. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Note - it's not a grounding problem, and everything is wired correctly. I had a guy at a dealership who specializes in electrical problems try to figure it out, and he was stumped, so I'm just going with an option that's virtually guaranteed to fix it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It may be quicker and easier to run a dedicated power lead from the battery. Most high-end aftermarket audio installs go that way. Several notes on getting the wire into the car from under the hood:
1. Always put a fuse block or an inline fuse as close as possible to the power/battery tap. Protection starts the the fuse.
2. Be aware of any and all hot things under the hood. Keep wire route away from engine, exhaust system, etc.
3. Take the time to put the wire in a sheath of some sort and route with existing wiring. Use black Tiewraps, don't use tape.
4. Find a spot in the firewall, usually near the steering column, where you have access to both sides. Sometimes the easy way from the engine-side is impossible on the interior side.

Hope this helps..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts