Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006 SL500, 2007 S550, 2010 E350
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I added the voice control module plus the built-in telephone system in my 2006 SL this past weekend. Purchased the telephone kit brand new in original boxes for $350 off eBay. I already had the bluetooth puck from my 2008 ML, so no cost there. Labor was my time, so it certainly beat the $2K the dealer quoted to do this.

All in all, it took about 3-4 hours of work, but upon start up everything is working! No version coding necessary. I probably could've done it faster, but I moved slowly to make sure I caused no damage and probably removed more items than I needed to, such as the left stowage compartment.

I used the instructions from the service manual DVD from the service bulletins section, rather than the retrofit instructions in the repair and maintenance section. Probably the hardest part of the entire process was getting to the wiring harness in the left front footwell to connect the microphone.

Having done this, if anyone else is contemplating it the only major modification I would make to the instructions is to install the fiber optiocs AFTER mounting the phone and voice control components. It is much easier that way.

·
Registered
ML 55, ML 430, S500
313 Posts
Installing Phone Equipment

I already have the phone installed in my 2007 SL and just want to add the voice control. What do you suggest? What interior panels do I need to remove to just do that portion? Any shortcuts?

·
Registered
SL55 (2002)
25 Posts
MBnaZ i see you mention a service manual dvd, i've been looking for a service manual for the R230, any ideas where i could find one
Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got my service dvd from MB. I didn;t find it at mbusa.com, so I called the customer service line. It was $65 or so. Part no. P-2700-230-07. It covers 2003-2006 model years.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already have the phone installed in my 2007 SL and just want to add the voice control. What do you suggest? What interior panels do I need to remove to just do that portion? Any shortcuts?
Both phone and voice control came in the same kit. The voice unit mounts underneath the center console rear cover, between the storage bins. It has a MOST fiber connection, so you would need that too. That cover comes off by unscrewing 2 torx screws at rear of glovebox and lifting, taking care not to break the clips that hold the rear portion in place.

It is easier to install the voice unit by also removing the main glovebox, but it is possible to work in into position from the rear.

At the least, I think you would need to remove the aforementioned cover. To connect the fiber optics, you might also need to remove the RR storage box, which means taking out the quarter trim as well.

Also, as I mentioned, the microphone had to be disconnected from the tele-aid specific circuit and plugged into the voice system plug. That was up by the emergency brake and was the hardest part of the whole project. (Accessing the 4 nuts to remove the harness cover, not switching the plugs.)

Adding the voice activation lever was a simple plug in on the steering column.

·
Registered
ML 55, ML 430, S500
313 Posts
Install

MBnAZ....super, thanks. Didn't know about the microphone plug in. Sounds like it just makes sense to pull the RR (rear right?) panel.

·
Registered
ML 55, ML 430, S500
313 Posts
MBnAZ....one more question. Since I don't have access to the WIS, how are the center glovebox/console and rear quarter panels/storage boxes removed?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Rear center "hump" cover: Held on with 2 torx screws accessed via the large console storage box. Also held in with 2 clips toward rear, but these should disengage fairly easily.

Center storage box: 2 torx screws attach through the front to the console structure. These 2 screws are at an angle and will not come out through the access hole. They will stay in the console. Also, remove the false floor "mat" in the bottom of the box and remove 2 nuts that are now exposed. The box will be free to be removed. As you jiggle it loose, undo the central locking hose at the front of the box, then unplug the wires at the rear.

Quarter panel trim: Remove the door sill by lighly prying up. There are several clips. Next, remove the part of the door weather strip (fuzzy interior color around door opening) that comes up the front edge of the quarter panel. Open the lid(s) on storage box(es) and pop off the front trim panel. There will be a single screw that attaches the quarter trim exposed. Once that screw is out, genly pull panel loose. I started with the bottom edges. It will need to pop along the curved portion from side to back, then should come out freely toward the front of the car. Note how the trim panel "finishes" the storage box, which is why the lid must remain open.

Storage box: These are easy. With the front trim panel removed, remove the 2 screws attaching it to the body. There are 2 holes along the upper rear wall of the box. These are larger torx screws. No need to remove them, but you do need to loosen them a few turns. These serve as guides when reinstalling. As you lift the storage box, there is a wire and the central locking tube attached to the rear side. These easily pop off so you can gain more room to move the box around. No need to unplug anything, as the box just needs to be repositioned.

I need to note that the dvd and my work were on a 2006. I know the 2007's had the phone installed, so not sure what changes might be made to add the voice unit. From my installation, it would seem that everything would mount the same, and that the voice kit would have a fiber optic that would tap into the circuit. I don't have specific instructions for that as your car may have a slightly different connection.

·
Registered
2004 SL55 AMG
27 Posts
Phone install

I have very detailed info on the phone install. If you send me an email I can attach it. The pdf is to large for a download here. How can I attach to this forum? I will be glad to send the info to anyone who asks. my emal is:
[email protected]
I did the job in 1 1/2 hrs with this info. VERY DETAILED....
Hope I can help you all.
Merry Christmas:thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts