Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used the aux input instructions found in the sticky to connect ipod to my 2005 C230k. Instead of using the cig lighter for power, which has the cord running up the console, I installed an extra 12 volt socket (few buckets at any auto parts store) under the passenger seat. I unplugged the switches under the seat and used a 12v test light to find a switched 12v wire (has power when ignition on, no power when ignition off) and ground. I used vampire taps (the kind that clamp onto a wire using pliers) to tap into the power and ground wires. The power wire was really thick so had to get a tap bigger than the ones commonly found (got it from pegasusracing.com). The socket mounted to a flat piece under the seat using one screw. I used some flexible wire sheathing & zip ties cover to cover the wires.

·
Registered
69 Posts
cigarrete lighter fire

I pressed the cigarette lighter down and after it popped out I could smell something burning. Sure enough there was a little piece of plastic burning down in the socket. It could've caused a major fire if i did't blew out fast enough.

I like to throw the lighter away (don't smoke) and just use the socket for charging the phone. Is there a snap-on cover that fits the socket to keep thing from falling in?

Any help is appreciated.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts