Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
That's a bit early. Maybe your car wasn't topped up. I had the message at around 4000miles. I added 1 liter of Mobile 1 0-W40. Do the same [:)]

·
Registered
SLK 55 AMG
3,560 Posts
I also had the car for about 4.5-5 months before I had this message pop up.

How about you put in only .5 liters of oil and leave it at that. Do measure the level frequently and adjust accordingly.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Don't know if this makes you feel better...

From the Owner's manual (pg 288):

Engine Oil

The amount of oil your engine needs will depend on a number of factors, including driving style. Higher oil consumption can occur when
  • the vehicle is new[/*]
  • the vehicle is driven frequently at higher engine speeds[/*]
Engine oil consumption checks should only be made after the vehicle break-in period.

·
Registered
350 SLK
35 Posts
I had the add oil warning come on for the second time at just under 4000 miles (added a quart at about 1800 miles). I contacted MB and they had me bring it in last Friday. They found a mis-torked bolt in the oil pan and fixed it. I don't know if this is the problem, but the dealer stated that a quart every 2000 miles is not acceptable.

Bill

·
Registered
R171 SLK200
145 Posts
I had to put in a total of two litres of oil over 18,000 miles. Admittedly I drive 90 miles a day (mostly on the motor/freeway) and have done so since I got the car back in September. But the MB service centre said it was unusual for the car to consume so much oil and asked me to keep an eye on the levels since it's first service.

·
Registered
SLK350
71 Posts
Be careful about topping up too much.
My car had the same message come up while I was on the way to the dealer to have the steering angle sensor fixed for the second time. They found the oil sensor was also faulty. Apparently there are bad batches of oil sensors and steering angle sensors.

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
High performance machines "consume" oil. used to have to add oil every so often on my Porsche, BMW, and so on. Someone will say that its not normal for "MERCEDES", like they should not consume oil.. blah blah blah, and how Mercedes considers this a realy issue, and how they are keeping tabs on it, and how they are tracking it, blah blah blah...

If you have ever raced a car, you know that higher performance engines (especially F1 inspired engines like the SLKs) consume oil.

I added 1/2 a quart at around 4K miles, and have 6K now, I expect to add 1 - 1 1/2 quarts every 10K miles.

Ohh and BTW. I confirmed this with the dealership that performs all the NEW car tests for MBUSA HQ, they even tested the SLK55 before being released, and they confirmed this with MB Engineers.

PERFECTLY NORMAL..

·
Registered
237 Posts
1350 miles and I need a qrt now. Smoke after sitting
for several days on start up. The infiniti G35 coupe we had never took a drop in 20K miles and it is a very similiar motor. My Z06 Vette very took a drop or any of the last 12 new cars and truck I have owned. I am very concerned about a quart every 1000 miles. My dad had a truck like that once. GM said 1 qrt every 1000 miles was acceptable- maybe for them. He traded it off ASAP. The dealer he traded to called him back after selling the truck to another party to complain and try to go back on the deal because of the oil consumption problem. My dads response was here is the letter from your company saying that perfectly acceptable. Case closed. This is my wifes car and now I have to be the oil monitor on a 55K $ car. Not impressed at all. Plus a tranny problem left her on the side of the road with only 800 miles on it.

·
Registered
2000SLK-2005SLK
57 Posts
XJagman,
I hear your reason for concern, but I would not lose sleep over it. Give it a few thousand more miles but check it at regular interval...keep the MB dealer apprised of your concerns. My wife's 2000 SLK 230 hasn't used any oil in five years. I just got rid of a $130,000 twin turbo Porsche that used about a quart every 800 miles. A previous Porsche never used any oil.
Best of luck. I believe MB will stand behind your SLK completely. At least I hope so!

·
Registered
05SLK350
151 Posts
Hi Dan: Got my SLK350 12/15/04 and at 5500 miles added 1/2 quart and changed at 6000. Using Mobil ! 0- 40

1 - 14 of 14 Posts