Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I know the fiber optic cable makes it difficult to drop in a aftermarket amp

So can i use the bose amp audio out to Sub (not in use) to a another amp (just to get audio signal then to a sub, I already have the back stripped out

Has anyone else installed a Subwoofer in the r230 without taking out the command unit

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So I do have a subwoofer behind the front passenger foot well, it was blown so I'm thinking of just adding a amp and bigger sub to it (removing the oem sub enclosure)

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,454 Posts
sl600kid

Good to see a post on this, although not many responses !

I have read some other posts on how people put a larger sub into the stock mount with the 2 vent tubes in the foot well. Also there are better results when a shallow mount free air subwoofer is used which I think does away with the Mercedes sub enclosure all together.
Where are you going to place your additional amp and can you just wire to the from it to the new sub?

·
Registered
2007 SL550
6 Posts
Hi. I've mapped the signal paths in the 2007 Bose amp. There are differential analog signals for each channel passed from the processor PCB to the amplifier PCB. You could tap these to feed an aftermarket amp(s). You would retain full volume and tone controls, as these all occur digitally on the processor board. Let me know if you want more info on this.

·
Registered
'07 S600, '00 E320 Wagon, other
203 Posts
and please note the car year - two different fiber systems, the older one like 2003/2004 hard to work with D2B fiber, the newer ones 2005+ have MOST with plenty of aftermarket interfaces maybe even to add subwoofer as well

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so what i end up doing was, using the audio cables to the oem sub and running those to a 1000w aftermarket amp and from there to a aftermarket 12in sub which it sounds better then the stock system but doesn't sound like a 1000w system (when amp turned up, its distorted) so im going to tinker around with it and maybe because i got the sub & amp from walmart. and a homemade box (sub not fully seated)

·
Registered
R230 SL350 Presnt, Past - W208 CLK230K 2000, W203 C Class, W202 C Class, W210 E Class, W201 190E
1,454 Posts
so what i end up doing was, using the audio cables to the oem sub and running those to a 1000w aftermarket amp and from there to a aftermarket 12in sub which it sounds better then the stock system but doesn't sound like a 1000w system (when amp turned up, its distorted) so im going to tinker around with it and maybe because i got the sub & amp from walmart. and a homemade box (sub not fully seated)
I see, where did you mount the new sub was it in a box?

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I see, where did you mount the new sub was it in a box?
yeah im currently putting a new quality subwoofer in it now, (also im going to seat it on top the rear luggage deck strapped in by the luggage strap)

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
yeah im currently putting a new quality subwoofer in it now, (also im going to seat it on top the rear luggage deck strapped in by the luggage strap)
I was going to do the same, will you put the amp on the sub box?

·
Registered
sl600
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so i brought a prebuilt box and a apline 750w sub it sounds really good (better then stock, even turned all the way up) but.............. i think i might be pushing the limit of the oem amp, or over heating, at random times of listening to the music, a sharp cut off sound will happening, like unplugging a tv or any powered entertainment device, so i think im blowing the electronic fuse then it powers back on, like nothing happening so, i wont be playing at maxed so often or bass at 10. So im still going to look into swapping the oem amp out too.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
so i brought a prebuilt box and a apline 750w sub it sounds really good (better then stock, even turned all the way up) but.............. i think i might be pushing the limit of the oem amp, or over heating, at random times of listening to the music, a sharp cut off sound will happening, like unplugging a tv or any powered entertainment device, so i think im blowing the electronic fuse then it powers back on, like nothing happening so, i wont be playing at maxed so often or bass at 10. So im still going to look into swapping the oem amp out too.
Do you have any photos?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts