Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it is still possible to obtain and install a factory-type CD changer in a W210 sedan with the original audio system? And what it might cost?
Reason I ask is that I am shopping for a W210, would want a CD changer, and some otherwise desirable-looking cars have the changer and some do not. I do not think I am interested in changing out the whole system (especially if I get a car with the Bose system), so the easiest thing would appear to be to add a CD changer if the car I get does not have one.
I know that it was an outrageously expensive option so probably the equipment is still outrageously expensive.
Are the cars prewired so it can be done more or less simply?
Is it a do it yourself sort of job? I installed one (Becker Silverstone) on my 1992 W124 sedan and it was challenging but I got it done. MBNA had a decent technical bulletin on how to do it. (The biggest problem was some of the parts were hard to get when I did it.)
I did look in the forum and did not find the answer on this. Most posts seem to be about how to put changers in the dash or to use something other than the factory-type changer...
Thanks to anyone who can help.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's trivially easy to install the changer, the wiring is all there, you just have to tie it down in some manner. I have a wagon, and there's a slot you can lay it in on the passenger side rear of the car.
I sold/gave my changer to another forum member who said he's not using it, I sent an email alerting him that someone may be interested in it, I'll certainly let you know if/when I hear back.

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
461 Posts
Does anyone know if it is still possible to obtain and install a factory-type CD changer in a W210 sedan with the original audio system? And what it might cost?
Reason I ask is that I am shopping for a W210, would want a CD changer, and some otherwise desirable-looking cars have the changer and some do not. I do not think I am interested in changing out the whole system (especially if I get a car with the Bose system), so the easiest thing would appear to be to add a CD changer if the car I get does not have one.
I know that it was an outrageously expensive option so probably the equipment is still outrageously expensive.
Are the cars prewired so it can be done more or less simply?
Is it a do it yourself sort of job? I installed one (Becker Silverstone) on my 1992 W124 sedan and it was challenging but I got it done. MBNA had a decent technical bulletin on how to do it. (The biggest problem was some of the parts were hard to get when I did it.)
I did look in the forum and did not find the answer on this. Most posts seem to be about how to put changers in the dash or to use something other than the factory-type changer...
Thanks to anyone who can help.
With the W210 from 1996-1998, the CD changer can be add to the car (use the same head unit), the wiring already there (in the trunk, left (driver side), either OEM unit #MC3196, or Alpine CD changer (I can not remember the Alpine model #, something #601 or 602, with a adaptor) will work. From 96 to 98, the wiring is copper. From 1999-2002, the head unit use fiber optic cables (the wiring also ready in the car, you have to pull the liner out to look for it), only OEM CD changer can be add to use the OEM head unit, the CD changer model # MC3198 (older) for # MC3010 (newer) will fit. No after market unit will fit with Fiber optic head unit. The W210 is an old car, Ebay have plenty of these CD changer all the time. Hope this info will help.

·
Registered
2002 E320 4Matic
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Thanks to both the last two posts (as well as the earlier ones).
As far as needing to buy one, i have not yet bought a car, so I do not yet actually know that I need one. I am just planning for contingencies.

·
Premium Member
2012 Mercedes Benz E350 22K Miles
216 Posts
Thank you too

I have been searching for this exact question and, sure enough, here it is. Thank you for asking the question and to all of you for answering it so thoroughly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts