Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any one know of a way to add 10-20 hp to my 2001 c240??

someone recommended that i add a new exhaust system.... do people have experience with this? which exhaust system should i look into?

thanks for your help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well there are a few things you can do i am not that sure about the MB aftermarket I am ...

Well there are a few things you can do i am not that sure about the MB aftermarket I am just now getting into it. But i am sure you can Chip the car, add a figher flow intake(gain hp but loose tq.) aftermarket headers, and the MB exhaust seams to be well engenered but you could awalys use a diffrent exhaust. With the C240 with any of these mods you could loose low end tq. but you gain high end hp. You could also add a supercharger but that would be more hp than you are after.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You know what i forgot almost completely about Renntech they make plenty of parts for MB...

You know what i forgot almost completely about Renntech they make plenty of parts for MB's go to there web site they have plenty of mods avaiable. There exhaust claims to add up to 35hp (hard to belive unless you have one of the big 12cyl.) They also make tuning kits and intake and aerodynmic parts.

·
Registered
c240 2002
27 Posts
c240 mods

hi there...

I have personnaly added a Upsolute chip and a remus exhaust and have felt no <significant> changes unfortunately. the 240 engine is pretty maxed out as it is. Only renntech kleeman and amg kompressors will make a difference you can feel. the best bet is to swap for a 320 manual and then chip it...

my two cents
andre

·
Registered
W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
1,970 Posts

thanks for your help!
You can Try The EVOSPORT power Pullies..they Work!
I Had Evosport Install them on my W210 and Noticed a Nice gain...Dyno Proven!
Contact Ben At WWW.Evosport.com

·
Registered
2001 KLEEMANN C24K
33 Posts
Re: Re: add 10-20 horsepower to a c240

thanks for your help!
You can Try The EVOSPORT power Pullies..they Work!
I Had Evosport Install them on my W210 and Noticed a Nice gain...Dyno Proven!
Contact Ben At WWW.Evosport.com

I have Evosport UD pulley kit in my C240 and it helped a lot. I felt more power all around esp on those hot days with the A/C on. It didnt drain my car as much.
[:D]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you had any problems with your pullies? On the accords they cause alot of problems...

Have you had any problems with your pullies? On the accords they cause alot of problems.

·
Registered
C240
3 Posts
Under drive pulleys

Agree about the C240 motor comments - Only low dollar mod that really works are the pulleys. Chipping, exhaust, etc. won't help without big-bucks (Kleeman, Brabus) engine mods.

·
Registered
C240 6-speed
16 Posts
C240 upgrades

RENNtech is the way to go! I'm biased since I am a dealer, but you can get an ECU upgrade for about $1600 for 10 extra HP. That plus a carbon fiber airbox gets you 15 bhp for $2495. Or those two plus a sport muffler gets you 20 bhp for $3350.

I can help you out with any of these. Post here and let me know how to contact you if interested.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks brent.

however, why would i pay $2500 to get 15 hp from your adjustments when i ...

thanks brent.

however, why would i pay $2500 to get 15 hp from your adjustments when i can get 13 hp from the evosport pulley for $500? i am not very familiar with either type of modification, so please inform me why i should buy yours.

thanks,

felix

·
Registered
C240
3 Posts
FYI, evosport pulley will cost more like $800 including tax and installation. But I agree,...

FYI, evosport pulley will cost more like $800 including tax and installation. But I agree, $2500 for 15 or 20 hp? That ratio of $/hp doesn't work for me......

·
Registered
C240
3 Posts
FYI, evosport pulley will cost more like $800 including tax and installation. But I agree,...

FYI, evosport pulley will cost more like $800 including tax and installation. But I agree, $2500 for 15 or 20 hp? That ratio of $/hp doesn't work for me......

·
Registered
C240 6-speed
16 Posts
$/HP

I can't speak for the evosport pulleys because I know nothing about them, but the money you spend for RENNtech parts gets you the R&D of AMG's former North American technical director, Hartmut Feyhl, the founder and owner of RENNtech.

While an underdrive pulley might free up some horsepower, a RENNtech package is a thoroughly engineered system to upgrade the performance of your MB.

The ECU upgrade, for example, takes the actual ECU from your car and re-maps the 3D engine mapping, whereas most "chips" just add extra fuel to free up some HP.

Granted, RENNtech parts aren't the cheapest aftermarket parts around, but then MB's aren't the cheapest car on the road. The HP and torque gains you get will be reliable, come with a warranty, will be more "useable" power throughout the rev range and won't interfere with the rest of your car's engine or body computers.

Like I said, I'm a bit biased, but I truly believe in the quality of the parts and the integrity of the engineering.

My $.02 worth...

·
Registered
C240 W203 Avantgarde
47 Posts
Forget any changes to the 240 engine.

Its main weakness is low-end torque - and whatev...

Forget any changes to the 240 engine.

Its main weakness is low-end torque - and whatever you do in the low-dollar bracket (chips, etc.) will make that worse. You'll gain a little vmax (which you don't need - the car is much faster than you can drive anywhere in NA), but loose acceleration, especially at low revs. And your MB warranty will be gone, too.

The one thing that improves low-end performance a little is hi-octane fuel (98 or 99) but, as far as I know, that's not available in NA. (But take heart - the difference in performance is not worth the difference in cost over time.)

Hi-dollar mods (compressor) may work, but then a total mod (i.e. a change of car) is probably cheaper and more effective.

·
Registered
9 Posts
How do performance pulleys work???

Ignorant question:

How do pullies actually decrease engine load (thereby increasing HP)? Are the wheel/tooth combination "spacing" different from stock pulleys?

I can see how headers/chips/exhaust can pull more air in or reduce fuel consumption but how do they redesign these performance belts and do they really work...

Regards,
SteveL

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
Underdrive pulleys turn the alternator, a/c compressor, power steering pump etc at lower...

Underdrive pulleys turn the alternator, a/c compressor, power steering pump etc at lower speeds, thereby consuming less of the power produced by the engine and freeing it up the drive the wheels. These pulleys are also usually lighter than the stock pulleys, so consume less power themselves.

·
Registered
'01 C240
272 Posts
I would also recomend you getting the Evosport pulley. I had it on for almost 3 weeks and...

I would also recomend you getting the Evosport pulley. I had it on for almost 3 weeks and I have NO complaints. It is a significant gain and it isn't to expensive. As long as your there make sure you get the C32 brake upgrade[:D]. If you want a bigger boost in HP, well then buddy you got the wrong car... unless you got 8-10K to spare for the Kleeman supercharger. But only ballers like BrabusCClass can get this[:D]!

·
Registered
White Custom Tuned 2002 Mercedes C240
2 Posts
I went with a stainless/polished Magnaflow axle-back (#15615) for $140 and replaced my stock cats with Magnaflow metallic-spun high flow cats (#59959). The tubing is already stainless and mandrel bent, so no need to change that. My total cost for the exhaust installed was at $500. Way better flow and sound.

As far as the intake, they're already optimized for maximum flow from the factory, so I just change out the plastic inlet tubes for a couple of smooth polished tubes with cone high-flow are filters (I removed the stock panel filters of course). Hope this helps!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts