Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 E500
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted here about my troubles with the adaptive xenon headlamps in my 2005 E500. I finally fixed them this weekend, and thought you guys would like to see some photos of the procedure.

I began by removing the bumper cover, and then the right headlamp.

Then, after removing the rubber cover, stainless clips, ballast, controller, and ignitor from the headlamp assembly, I heated the headlamp to 170 degrees in the oven. After about 25 minutes, it was warm enough to remove the lens from the housing. I and a friend used screwdrivers to gently separate the lens and housing. You really need two people for this, so as to not get the sealant on the interior reflector.

I removed the original projector assembly, and installed an OEM 2007 projector that I purchased on Ebay for $42.50.

Before reinstalling the lens and reflector, I placed the headlamp back in its original position on the car, plugged everything back in, started the car, and tested its operation. No malfunction messages, and correct leveling action perked my hopes that all was well. We reheated the headlight body and replaced the reflector and lens. We then reassembled the car, and went for a test drive. Everything now works as it should.

This fix cost me $42.50 for a used, but functional, projector assembly, and about five or six hours of our labor. This was not a hard job, but attention to detail is a must.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,023 Posts
Bravo, that is fantastic. I am thrilled you fixed it. I can't even imagine you saved.:thumbsup:
I know how much of PITA this has been so far. I am sure you are feeling
pretty good about the work also.

·
Registered
2005 E500
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the congrats man! The work was straight forward, and was not all that difficult. It does feel nice to make a repair and save that kind of money. The headlight assembly itself would have cost $1200.00 - $1450.00 and the MB dealership labor to install it.

The problem was caused by a fried circuit board on the projector assembly.

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
22,023 Posts
I love these fixes. Great endings to what would be a staggering bill to fix. I have bookmarked
this, because I have the regular MB bi-xenons and the projector board could die on it.
No way I am going to pay for a retail housing at the dealer or even online OEM discount dealer.

·
Registered
2005 CLK320, 2009 E350
345 Posts
I know this is an old thread but wanted to ask the question of adaptive headlights vs non adaptive?

Is there even such a thing with the factory bi-xenons? Or is it just adaptive bi-xenons vs stock halogens?

I am asking in regards to the facelight models only because every I have seen on ebay for factory bi-xenon's they don't specify if they are adaptive or not.

Not that I am going to be swapping the stock halogens for factory bi-xenons so I know I will not have the adaptive feature but wasn't sure if there were two different models regarding the above.

Thanks,
-Nigel

·
Premium Member
'71 Pinto
4,431 Posts

·
Registered
2005 CLK320, 2009 E350
345 Posts
Excellent! Thank you.

I will post a how-to or update once I get my oem headlights.

I planned on changing the stock halogens for the bi-xenons. I know adaptive feature won't work which is perfectly fine, I just wanted to make sure that there weren't three different versions of headlights being. Halogen, non adaptive bi-xenons, and then adaptive bx-xenons.

Trying to find a computer with STAR so that I can mess around and play with certain things. I do know that Xenon=Present will have to be enabled, but I'm almost positive the wiring should be identical via the pinout for halogens/bi-xenons. The bi-xenons have extra harness to control the motors inside, so it's very similar to our CLK's headlights.

Off to find stuff now!

-Nigel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts