Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out what sequence you need to do with the accelerator to get the transmission to "stick" in gear as you are doing some spirited driving.
Does anyone have any insight to the program of this complex piece of machinery?

thanks,
-Ben

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
The closest you are going to get it to hold a gear is to put it in manual mode and select the gear you want. It will still upshift pre-redline and downshift when it senses the need. But it is closer than leaving it in pure auto mode.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
of course, I know that the thing shifts when it wants, but it also has a "racing mode" the the computer runs if you smash the gas and then slow down as you would racing around a corner...
it hold it in gear so there is less time to accelerate out of the corner ( no need to downshift agan, because it was held in the lower gear)

any comments?

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I guess I am confused about what you are asking for. Do you want to know what parameters the vehicle is measuring to determine whether or not to downshift? It measures throttle opening, steering angle, engine speed among others.

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, no..

I *thought* I heard that the tranny computer has a "racing mode" where it will downshift and hold the car in the downshifted gear longer than usual. My car does it when I start racing it around corners and such. I can't quite put together what initiates the "racing mode" for the computer ( what kind of modulation of the acceleration pedal and other factors). So I was wondering if anyone knew what it takes to put the computer into that mode...

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The earlier cars don't do that ......

There were some modifications done to the AMG cars to improve the speed of the shifts, and apparently some g-meters to hold gears in the turns, but the early cars don't have any of that stuff. The best that you can do is shift yourself, and wind out to almost redline then shift higher. If you don't you'll hit the rev limiter and lose time. You have to watch the tach, just like on a "real" sports car... [:D][:D][;)]

·
Registered
1998 SLK 230
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well then, I am curious what in the heck its doing.
Because it happened last night. Stepped on the accelerator, the car went from 5th to 3rd and then almost immidiately I took my foot off the gas, applied the break slightly, "drifted" around the corner, and then stepped on the gas again. And it stayed in 3rd all the way through the corner. It didnt upshift until I maintained a constant speed for a good 5-7 seconds.
In ALL of my other cars, as soon as I took my foot off of the gas, it would have upshifted, if not into 4th, then back into 5th.
weird.

·
Registered
98 SLK230
28 Posts
I no exactly what u r talking about. All i do is race my slk. It's fun burnin rice. You just have to upshift right before redline

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The tranny will hold gears a little longer if it senses aggressive driving....

But the '32 tranny is set up differently.
If you get the opportunity to track your car, do it, it will make things little clearer in your mind. The tranny "remembers" how you drive and tries to keep up with you. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't do so well. The staying in gear is normal after some hard driving, even when you come out of a turn and are going straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts