Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

It's been awhile since I've been here and I hope all the folks here are well. I remember seeing (and using) a reset procedure that forces the computer to "unlearn" my driving patterns - thereby resetting it back to factory specs where the power in the car is more pure. I've searched the forum and through google and can't seem to find the trick. I recall it is a combination of turning off the car and stepping on the accelerator.

Help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Omnipotent - You just didn't look hard enough ;-)

For those with automatic trannies, check out this thread on resetting the adaptive transmission and throttle settings...

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=148019

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I didn't use the right keywords.

·
Registered
966 Posts
this has to do with automatic transmission and nothing to do with radio or nav. this resets the adaptive learning, ie. quick rabbit starts as opposed to slow takeoffs. it gets used to how you drive.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't get the link to work? Anyone else able to do it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Omnipotent

I don't know why the link didn't copy properly but:

I searched in ALL forums not just the SLK forum (engines and gearboxes are pretty much common across all the Merc range) using the word "adaptive".

It comes with pages of hits. Here are some:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1225800-resetting-adaptive-driving-parameters.html?highlight=adaptive+gearbox

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1323965-transmission-reset.html?highlight=adaptive

Just to confirm.

Turn the key to the FIRST position (not the 2nd or start position)
Press and hold the pedal all the way down
Wait a few seconds and you will hear a small click (from the ECU unit?)
Turn the key off and wait a few minutes (not sure why you need to wait but....)

I did this last night when I got home and did not drive it until this morning.
This morning my SLK seemed a lot perkier and revved higher between upshifts.

I do mostly stop/start driving in town so I suppose it will soon re-learn to be less aggressive ;-)

John

·
Registered
17 Posts
Damn

What am I doing wrong?

I just copied the link and when it posts, it truncates the link!

I have tried again and inserted commas before an after the link to see if that helps.

"http://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/1323965-transmission-reset.html?highlight=adaptive"

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks John,

I'll do it later today. I remember when I did it correctly last time, all of my driving statistics were reset as well. If yours did too, then you definitely did reset it and the "perkiness" is real and not imagined.

·
Registered
100 Posts
jmorgan52 said:
Omnipotent - You just didn't look hard enough ;-)

For those with automatic trannies, check out this thread on resetting the adaptive transmission and throttle settings...

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=148019

1. Turn the ignition key to the on (not start) position.

2. Press the gas pedal to the floor and hold for five seconds.

3. Turn the key to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

4. Wait at least two minutes for ECU to reset.

Thanks for posting that, very cool info.

What I've been trying figure out is how often it "adapts". It seems like it's pretty quick. If you drive mellow for a bit it mellows out, if you drive aggressive for a short while it seems to perk right up. Our's probably gets confused because my wife and I trade off driving it. But then I don't know how aggressive she is when I'm not in the car.....:eek:

The link didn't work for me either.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just a quick note on resetting the adaptive learning. The resident MB technical guru(Dan) at slkworld was just saying in the following post that this method doesn't work on the 7G transmission:

SLKWorld Forum

You can just disconnect the battery for an hour and I think that'll reset the adaptive learning.

·
Registered
966 Posts
if you jackrabbit, and then your little old lady grandma drives your car, the system learns her driving habits, ie., slow takeoffs. the adaptive learning reset lets the vehicle learn your habits again, just like when mr spock had his brain zapped and he has to learn everything again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just a quick note on resetting the adaptive learning. The resident MB technical guru(Dan) at slkworld was just saying in the following post that this method doesn't work on the 7G transmission:

SLKWorld Forum

You can just disconnect the battery for an hour and I think that'll reset the adaptive learning.
Whats a 7g transmission? is that a 7 speed transmission?

·
Registered
966 Posts
yes

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
About this Discussion
28 Replies
15 Participants
nz170
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing