Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the actual height of a stock G? From the website, it says 76" overall. But then there is another reference to 77.8".

My garage is limited in height.

Is there anything you can do to lower a G an inch or two that doesn't void the warranty or involve keeping sacks of sand in the trunk? Getting a hefty girlfriend is out of the question since the fuel efficiency is already abominable.

Thanks.

·
Registered
96 G300DT
2,219 Posts
What is the actual height of a stock G? From the website, it says 76" overall. But then there is another reference to 77.8".

My garage is limited in height.

Is there anything you can do to lower a G an inch or two that doesn't void the warranty or involve keeping sacks of sand in the trunk? Getting a hefty girlfriend is out of the question since the fuel efficiency is already abominable.

Thanks.
This would be hard to guess remotely. Among other factors you would need to state the year of the G and other pertinent details (tire size, antennas, etc). In general the only sensible way to do this is to empty the target G of everything including fuel, over inflate the tires, pop up the sunroof and measure. If your driveway goes down and into the garage there are other factors to consider too.

·
Registered
00 g500
2,289 Posts
G55 springs do lower the vehicle a bit. A search might tell you how much over the g500... but as alan has alluded to, the vehicle has changed springs and tires several times over the years and so i wouldn't trust the specs listed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info.

It was more out of curiosity. I'm waiting for the economy to become so bad that dealers would have to throw in a free Smart car to get G's off the lot. Speaking of which, do you think you could hitch a Smart car onto the back of a G where the spare tire usually resides? Environmental nuts wouldn't know whether to slash your tires or give you an Oscar award.

I was asking about a 2009 G-class. Is the nipple antenna on the roof made of a flexible rubber? In colder weather, is it perkier than usual?

·
Registered
1993 600 SEC, 2001 G500
119 Posts
Why don't you take a tape measure and measure it?
I did that for mine and it came up just under 6 feet, 6 inches,
including the antenna.

·
Registered
2000 G500; 2004 LX450; 2008 LX570
51 Posts
my 2000 G500 with a Thule rack is 6'10" (ground to top of rack). Most parking garages are 7' which gives me 2" of wiggle room, but boy is it tight. I don't have a garage so no problems there!!

·
Registered
future G55/63
119 Posts
I used to think having an air suspension vehicle was the solution but when you top it off with a roof tent, jerry can holder or Pelican case, you're gonna be over 7' anyway. This is an issue on ferries in the PNW too, costs quite a bit more per round trip to be over height.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts