Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
Assorted Lesney and Hot Wheel cars
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a low mileage 1995 S500 with the telephone built into the dash. Is there any way to activate that telephone or to replace it with a phone that can be activated? I'm sure it's probably analog, but the phone in the dash is a convenient feature. Thank you.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Took delivery of my S500 and boy am I in luck. The first owner did not want a phone in the dashboard for safety reasons, so he had an analog phone installed that rests on a holder on the right side of the center console.

I want to uninstall the analog cell phone and just use my cell phone. I do not like to use the cell while driving, so it's fine if I don't have one built into the car.

Anyone ever do this?

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The origional equipment, and the other are obsolete, analog service has been discontinued by all major carriers. The phones are also non 911 compliant. The Tel-Aid service intoduced by MB was analog and it too was switched to digital, at your own expense.

·
Registered
2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
1,335 Posts
By "uninstall" do you mean turn it off or take it out? On or off, it doesn't work so that doesn't matter much. Since it doesn't work, it seems to me disconnecting the wires and removing the harness for the handset would be all there is to it.

Was there more to your question than that?

Cheers.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I don't want to just rip it out. I'd like to know if I need to take any steps to avoid damaging any other systems. I'd like to know how to remove the mic without removing trim, and how to remove the antenna without marring the rear window on which it is stuck.

I appreciate everyone's sage advice. This is a very nice owner's community.

John Throbs​
"Always UP for love without a glove since 1974"​
1995 Mercedes Benz S500
1963 Ferrari Superamerica
2009 Rolls Royce Phantom​
Assorted Lesney and Hot Wheels cars

Power. Potency. Performance. Throbs.

·
Premium Member
97 E-420 (180K miles), 97 SL500, (93K miles) 2015 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD CC/SB/4x4 Duramax(55K)
4,657 Posts
Just bought a low mileage 1995 S500 with the telephone built into the dash. Is there any way to activate that telephone or to replace it with a phone that can be activated? I'm sure it's probably analog, but the phone in the dash is a convenient feature. Thank you.
It's an NAMPS (Analog) phone, so no you can't activate it and even if you could there is almost no place in the country it would work anymore anyway.

·
Banned
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As always, much obliged.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.