Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I know diesel prices are just out of control right now (and I doubt they will be falling anytime soon), so what are you doing, if anything to keep your wallet heavy?

I personally have tried to reduce my driving to an absolute minimum, and it has helped considerably.

When I do drive, I have slowed down quite a bit. Before I was driving 70-75 and pretty much flooring it every time I had to accelerate and didn't really "coast" much. I've stopped those habits, and now drive about 55-60, I don't rev much over 2000 in city driving. I've tried to learn the signals on my commute, so I coast to just about every light. Before I was getting between 21-23 MPG, whereas now I am getting 26-28, which is a pretty decent improvement.

I know there is only so much I can get out of the 617 turbo, but maybe 30?

Anyone else changing driving habits? This is getting tough, with diesel selling up to $4.95 a gallon locally. Yikes!

·
Registered
'87 300D
1,394 Posts
I changed my driving habbits as well and the resaults were/are great
I used to floor it everywhere, to keep up with traffic, but now.ppfft forget it. I used to get 21 mpg mixed. After this week I've managed to get 28.5 mpg!!!! I put $44 in last week(exactly 10 gallons). I'm going to see how else I can improve my mileage. I wish I could get some rear fender skirts... that would help somewhat.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Drive less, drive slower, bumped up tire pressures a bit, remove unnecessary stuff in the trunk, and later tonight I'll lube the throttle linkages again give it a "tune up" or fix and adjust what's out of spec and just make sure it's as efficient as it can get.

Being a fresh grad also means looking for work. Currently unlucky so far, crossing my fingers I find a good one soon. :eek:

·
Registered
1982 300TDT 150,000 miles 1985 380SE 130,000 miles 1991 560SEL 81,000 miles (a/k/a the nightmare)
1,993 Posts
I drive slower and, thankfully, much smoother than my grandma now... and people absolutely hate it. I find myself mock yelling at people on the road because they are in such a rush that they pull bone-head maneuvers around me... BUT, my mileage has improved drastically. I've checked tire pressure religiously since I started driving (I used to be a speed freek, though a very safe one, when I could afford fuel and had vehicles of my own), and now that I'm around a lot more (you're not the only one in need of a job, Karugs), all of our vehicles (the ones that venture the road at least) are fully up to snuff... i just don't know what more I could do either than get my family to give up their excessive A/C habit/convert back to R12 to actually save fuel...

·
Registered
1985 Euro 300TD Turbo, 1983 Euro 300TD turbo, 1979 Euro 240TD and 1981 300D converted to euro.
2,700 Posts
anyone actaully know what the 200D like an 82 200D w123 was rated at getting ...id hope 35-37 atleast.

·
Registered
575 Posts
1. Dont have kids, save that gas
2. work till you die so you can have money for gas
3. suck fuel from semi trucks
4. sell the diesel and get a bicycle
5. invent away to run off something else

speaking of something else what is veg. oil at the store now a days sams club?

·
Registered
'85 280GE LWB '84 230CE
153 Posts
i found something for like 35pounds for 29.95 so....its probably 5 gallons im guessing so 6 bucks a gallon. maybe a few more months will be using straight veg. oil
35 pounds = 4.6 gallons so that's 6.51 a gallon.

·
Registered
2000 E430 4Matic
71 Posts
Boardmonger and Karugs:

Wow! Yours are the first, logical, rational comments I've seen on the forum on the RIGHT THINGS TO DO to decrease fuel consumption.

Man, there is a lot of whining about fuel prices, and as both of you correctly recognize, there is no magic bullet to achieving better fuel economy. There is only common sense.

Boardmonger, I really like that you mentioned coasting as much as possible. That means looking waaaay down the road and anticipating stopped traffic, and if it's going to stop, one should start coasting immediately (if it's safe to do so and no fast moving traffic coming up on your six).

Interestingly, within the last year, I saw a news program here in Canada on a Cdn government program which sent out a crew of trainers to help fleet operators improve their fuel economy. This crew was sent to train municpal bus operators and truck delivery companies, and apart from the normal 'avoid hard acceleration', the biggest insight I learned was to coast as early as possible when approaching stopped traffic.

The trainers said that this simple coasting technique typically achieves a 5-percent increase in fuel efficiency.

There is one more 'trick' nobody has mentioned, but one has to be very careful about the advisability of doing this; it depends on the traffic situation. And that is to turn the car off when stopped at a red light.

We visited Hungary in 1990 and fuel was so expensive for locals that everybody shut their cars off when stopped at a red light. I am experiementing with this technique on my E430 just to see if there is a discernable decrease in fuel consumption, but haven't run through a full tank of gas yet.

Anyway, thanks for bringing some cool, common-sense prractices to the whole 'fuel is too expensive' whining and ranting that seems to be common these days.

Cheers.

Tim

·
Registered
'77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins
2,654 Posts
The easiest way to save money on fuel is simply drive as little as possible.....or I drive my brother's car....:D

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
T-88 had some good comments, albeit it's true you will save fuel if you turn off your car at intersections there is the added wear this causes on the starter and the ring gear of the motor. The car ring gear may have been designed to withstand X number of starts during it's life but now you have exponentially increasing the number of stops. Modern Hybrids used this technique as well as some cars with starter generators. Both start the engine without gears meshing. IMO, I would rather pay for the little extra gas than to pay to have my transmission removed to replace the ring gear.

·
Registered
1980 280ce
135 Posts
I upped my mileage from 11 mpg to 13 mpg by slowing down a bit. WOOHOO!
I know these are horrifying mileage figures but my commute is only 4.5 miles
to work, through city traffic. So basically I'm never running the car at operating
temperature, or at highway speeds. Lucky me.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another thing I've done which supposedly helps is parking in a way in which you do not have to back out of the spot, as reversing is extra fuel used. Not sure if that has much benefit, but I do it anyways, except at home.

I am walking to school, riding my moped around town and skateboarding to the store. Killing those tiny trips equals big savings., both in mileage, and wear and tear.

·
Registered
1984 300D Turbo 1972 BMW 3.0CS
497 Posts
Definitely laying off of the gas more often, coasting, and generally driving like grandpa helps quite a bit- though I cant seem to comfortably run on the highway any slower than 70mph without feeling pretty vulnerable to being rear ended or cut off when traffic is heavy and traveling swiftly. I'll take safety over MPG there. Seems I am avg. about 23.5 city/28 highway when I can cruise.... naturally less when Im staying with or ahead of the flow.

Luckily I live within a 10 block radius of anything and everything I need so I don't really drive much since moving to the area; do lots of walking, and mostly reserve the cars for out of town and across town type errands.

·
Registered
1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
1,805 Posts
though I cant seem to comfortably run on the highway any slower than 70mph without feeling pretty vulnerable to being rear ended or cut off when traffic is heavy and traveling swiftly. I'll take safety over MPG there.
DITTO even in the slow lane here in Northern Virginia I get tailgaters If I am not doing at least 65 which is 10 mph over the speed limit. I been trying to drive 65 mph that gets me about 24 mpg. I been using my rear fog light switch the tailgaters think I am braking when it comes on and they slow down. I am thinking of wiring it to the right side also.

·
Registered
918 Posts
DITTO even in the slow lane here in Northern Virginia I get tailgaters If I am not doing at least 65 which is 10 mph over the speed limit. I been trying to drive 65 mph that gets me about 24 mpg. I been using my rear fog light switch the tailgaters think I am braking when it comes on and they slow down. I am thinking of wiring it to the right side also.
Well, if you had diesel then the solution would be to floor it. The people behind you would get smoked! However that would completely go against any fuel saving techniques.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm not whining, though I know some people are going to have a tough summer with everything getting as expensive as it is.

Hey Nate, where you been?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts