Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
281 - 300 of 407 Posts

·
Registered
‘83 380SL
1,469 Posts
When I got into the 107 SL world 17 years ago....lots of spare OEM parts, lots of cars that were parting out lots of support.

The longer we own them the more transplants will take place. I want to see this project continue and anyone else that's keen on transplanting.

Fuck....finding anything for a '67 Mustang is a breeze...but I highly doubt the same effort will be put in for our SLs aftermarket wise.

Just ask the Djet guys.

Carry on...all of you!

Me...I have no horse in the race...I have a spare engine and all sorts of parts that I accumulated over the years.
I’m sure if the darn steering box wasn’t a gigantic lump in the engine compartment we could swap anything in there from an LS to a 2JZ

·
Registered
1986 560SL LS swap project, 1981 300D (non-turbo), 2005 S55 AMG, and an old Lexus SUV
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
And uprated rear springs to stop your arse dragging the ground whenever you go away :p
Definitely going to be touching on the suspension to dial it in when this is all done.

I appreciate all the well wishing from everyone. Here’s where the engine is at, as of tonight. Got the fuel rail, injectors, intake, sensors, and throttle body worked out.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

I bought some engine “feet” which will allow us to test fire the engine when it’s done, without putting it in the car yet.

·
Registered
1986 560SL LS swap project, 1981 300D (non-turbo), 2005 S55 AMG, and an old Lexus SUV
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
I was having a crack at @nobby for lugging a boot load of spares with him wherever he goes ;)
Ah I see.
I am in agreement with him though. The circus act of getting a new rear tire for my S55 while going through Tennessee has changed me. I spent 3 days in tennesse (heading west back to texas) waiting for a specialty size tire to be delivered to the discount tire down the street.

it was awful lol

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
83 280 SL- 5 speed-The PIG
33,043 Posts
And uprated rear springs to stop your arse dragging the ground whenever you go away :p
Preparation is the key to success.
My philosophy is that if you have it....you'll never need it.:)

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,175 Posts
The “model” I’m making is purely to align the bottom end with the subframe to get rough measurements for wiring and mounting. The actual cutting and welding of the motor mounts will be done with the actual engine in the chassis.
For the transmission, I’m cutting the tunnel wide open (tremec T56 dimensions) and going to work the CD009 into that. The mounts for it will be made with everything being held in place and marked. Lots of photos will be taken of the stuff so I can get it right.

Also, for seats, I’m likely going back to the original seating for this chassis. I’m going to be looking for other good condition R107 seats. I sat in an excellently kept 380SL today, and it was worlds apart from the condition of this 560. I’m assuming the mechanical bits are just extremely rusted for this car, since it couldn’t adjust either side, and the springs feel busted.
SBC is fairly small, So I would think that once you do 1 trial fit with the engine fully dressed, you might be able to evaluate enough to do the rest of the fitting with a bare block. Bare block should be relatively easy to come buy cheep, and well worth considering. You may want to also install the heads and exhaust manifolds for fitting the exhaust but you will only need two bolts and no gaskets to install them for evaluation but once evaluated you can work with the bare block by itself. If you find an engine that is totally seized or through a rod you could probably get it for $100.00

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
13,175 Posts
I’m sure if the darn steering box wasn’t a gigantic lump in the engine compartment we could swap anything in there from an LS to a 2JZ
You really never know. I got the M120 V12 in place with the stock steering box in place. The M113 engine is wider at the bottom and would require rework of the forward frame rails mounts to fit in place to clear the alternator and AC compressor. Its nor just the size of the engine it's also where everything is.

·
Registered
95 SL600
595 Posts
It’s the exhaust manifold placement on the pushrod v8 that is the issue, well that and the spark plug wire and such. The Mercedes engineers definitely made the exhaust work around everything else. The steering takes up lots of needed real estate. I’ve done about 30 swaps in my life, everything from e30 bmw with turbocharged ford 5.0 to 3 rx7s Datsun 240z 2 996 porsches and lots more. The Mercedes I have done were all the most time consuming, due to transmission tunnel and driveshaft tunnel size, and the steering arrangement.
Getting the engine in there is usually the easy part, building headers to clearall the other stuff and clear the plug wirescan be challenging.
When I did the r129 swap I didn’t have the starter on, upon installing the starter I realized that the idler wanted the same area at about 3/4 right turn. Back to the drawing board.
The next step is the driveshaft selection and which angle to put the engine trans. The stock configuration allows only one ujoint, and a straight line between transmission output and I joint as well as u joint to differential input. Choose the angle that the drivetrain is according to driveshaft type. Slip yoke and 2 u joints with the stock driveshaft hasn’t worked well for me.

·
Registered
1983 380SL, ivory/dk brown, 46k miles, dual roller timing chain. 1986 560SL, red/white, 190K mile.
8,769 Posts
Reactions: natejgreene9871

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #295 ·
Guys I swear I'm not dead. I've been too busy, but I love coming back into this thread after a break and seeing the 2 sides clashing ;)

So what's new?

I got a lot done with the engine. Coil packs, plugs and wires, fuel rail modified to properly bolt down, throttle body, crank pulley, installed several sensors, plugged a hole in the engine block that used to be for the dipstick, made the new steam lines, and got the LS3 front-exit water pump which required several brackets to adapt the accessories properly.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Not pictured is the new alternator, power steering pump, belt tensioner, and brackets installed on the front of the engine (didn't take photos tonight). I really didn't take many pictures of all this, come to think of it.

For the car itself, I'm in the process of prepping the fuel system, and I have the wheel situation sorted out. I'm going to be heavily rolling/flaring the fenders. 8.5" front wheels and 10" rear wheels spin fine with 15 mm spacers, so now it's just a matter of making sure everything will be happy when the car is lowered back onto the ground.

I also spent a few hours cleaning up my shop. It was getting pretty messy. This huge pile of cardboard will be torn down to make mockups of things as I continue.
Automotive tire Automotive design Interior design Curtain Gas

And does anyone want some spare bolts? It's all the crap off the engine that will not be reused.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper Toy

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Well gentlemen, good news. The motor is entirely done. Belts, brackets, and everything.
(Looking at the photo though, I missed a water pump bolt in the front. Note to self.)
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive design Camera lens

Now for something that I know will disappoint a few. I’m going to change gears (pun) and go with an automatic transmission. This car is going to be absolutely bonkers. I’m thinking that shifting is something I don’t want to worry about, in traffic, with 500+ horsepower, in a ~40 year old car. Knowing me, I would zone-out on a long drive and “money shift”.

But more importantly, my dad pointed out we have nowhere for a clutch master cylinder to fit…

I’d like to get this car on the road this century, so I’m making the call for a 4L80E transmission to be the go-to. Less fabrication required for it, I can tune its shifts on the Holley terminator, and it can easily handle the power.

In other news though, we were able to figure out how the fuel system and ignition will work (got the fuel pump to shoot gasoline into a jerrycan on the floor when I turned the key). We’re going to reuse the pre-existing fuel lines (input and return). That was fun to figure out. Additionally, we’ve also came up with a game plan for mounting the motor in a way that’ll be structurally sound with high power. We’re going to also reuse the mounting points for the original motor for it. I can’t wait to show that when it’s ready.

Lastly, since I gave the bad news about the transmission, I should follow that up with a teaser. Later down the line, I will likely add turbos to the engine. :)

·
Registered
1987 300SL
1,799 Posts
Lastly, since I gave the bad news about the transmission, I should follow that up with a teaser. Later down the line, I will likely add turbos to the engine. :)
You're right, the car will be bonkers, and you're bananas :p
And nothing wrong with an auto, I'm not a fan but they do suit the 107

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
You're right, the car will be bonkers, and you're bananas :p
And nothing wrong with an auto, I'm not a fan but they do suit the 107
If it’s any consolation, I keep a fire extinguisher in my shop lol
But I can always convert into a manual later. The good news is that it IS possible with this engine and chassis. It would just require pretty dramatic changes as-is (especially to the pedal assembly and rearward engine bay), and I’d rather get this car up and running asap.

·
Registered
95 SL600
595 Posts
Better find yourself a converter for that stage 2 cam , a 2.48 first gear transmission snd a 2.47 rear gear ratio. The stock 560 will be faster 0 to 60

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
Better find yourself a converter for that stage 2 cam , a 2.48 first gear transmission snd a 2.47 rear gear ratio. The stock 560 will be faster 0 to 60
Yep! Aiming for a 4L80E with a 2700-3000 RPM stall converter. Robust and can haul some ass off the line.

281 - 300 of 407 Posts