Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Has anyone, especially any W140 'daily drivers', tried improving your fuel economy by using small amounts of acetone?

I'm going to give it a shot at 2.2US fluid oz per 10 US gallons. For me that's equivalent to 172ml of acetone in a full 100 litre tank. Maybe I can get the fuel consumption figure done to 12.3 L/100k - slightly better than 19 mpg US.

If you have tried it, or decided not to, please post results or reservations.

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
Acetone is a highly agressive solvent, especially on plastics. Of course diluting a couple of ounces in 10 gal of fuel has to cut its agressive nature.
Drive like there is an eggshell between the pedal, slow down early, accelerate gently, dont run the air, run up your tire pressue slightly.

·
Premium Member
1997 S600 (sold)
4,660 Posts
"Most fuel molecules are sluggish with respect to their natural frequency. Acetone has an inherent molecular vibration that "stirs up" the fuel molecules, to break the surface tension."

Sounds like a load of crap to me. Inherent vibration? Is the author talking about a ketone's typical absorbance at around 1700 wavenumbers in an infrared spectrum. This IS something that hydrocarbons do not have. Fine, but that has nothing to do with surface tension nor "stirring up" surrounding molecules. Acetone may increase mileage, but not because of any natural vibration. I'd take this "article" with a mountain of salt and do your own very careful experimentation. The article appears to be more an advertisement for ScanGauge (a really cheesy, horribly executed, way overpriced OBDII interface IMHO) than anything else.

Brett

·
Registered
W639 Vito 110 CDI; Ponton 220S; VW Phaeton V10 tdi; 1995 S500 ex diplomatic car (gone)
574 Posts
If it worked that well, it would be common knowledge. Little is new...ohc, 4 valves, forced induction, fuel injection, folding hard top etc. are all pre-war. Even the dynostart is making a comeback. The biggest steps are in materials and manufacture.

·
Registered
80 Posts
SimonClaringbold said:
See: Acetone In Fuel Said to Increase Mileage

Has anyone, especially any W140 'daily drivers', tried improving your fuel economy by using small amounts of acetone?
QUOTE]

I used to run toluene and xlene in my A4 turbo. I was boosting 24psi and needed to keep from detonating. This worked fantastic, however, I used to have to add 2 gallons of these solvents per tank. They are increadible as an octane booster. I ran mainly Toluene for months and it served its purpose. Putting high concentrations of these aromatics in your fuel can damage plastics and various other sensitive automotive components. They are very dry fuels and are corrosive, but some have tried to solve this problem by also adding ATF fluid into the mixture. Kind of funny, but glad I just run on premium fuel in the w140 now.

·
Registered
1997 S320 (89,xxx miles)
141 Posts
Snake Oil folks and you run the risk of destroying the plastic components in your fuel pump and fuel system in general. “Mythbusters” tested it and they found no significant increase in fuel mileage.

People do swear up and don't on the Internet about it's anti-ping/octane boosting properties for turbo charged cars; still, I wouldn't use it simply because of the harm it can cause to plastics

·
Registered
99 S320 (Sold at 280,000 miles) 2010 S550, 2008 C300, 08 SLK
445 Posts
Talked to a chemist I work with and the acetone does absolutely nothing.
Yes the toluene will boost the octane (it's extremely aromatic) but any kind of toluene I'd put in a gas tank is about $55.00 a gallon. !!!!!

·
Registered
F250 7.3TD Mercedes Benz W140 S600 1996 119k k's(sold), MB W124 300E 1989 261k k's(sold)
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On the YES side - possible small saving on running cost;
on the NO side - possible MONUMENTAL expense diagnosing and fixing fuel system;

I'll stick to PULP (Premium Un-Leaded Petrolium).

Personally, I think I'd only be game to try acetone in my lawnmower or chainsaw.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts