Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
'12 CLS550 4matic; '12 S550 4matic; 2003 CLK320
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have done oil changes before on my other cars, but this was the first on my 2008 CLS550. I do not know for some reason instead of opening the drain plug I opened the plug on the trans pan. I am not sure if this is the actual drain plug itself. The plug that is located on the right side of the pan and I had to open it with a hex bit. Once I opened it I heard a vaccum noise and 1.5 quarts came out. Does anyone have any idea of what I opened? If I refill the trans 1.5 quarts should I be fine or should I take it to the shop and have them replace it? Any input is great appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1985 190E2.6(junked), 1995c220, 2000CLK430(totaled), 2001C240, 2009 CLS
421 Posts
How are you going to refill it ? There is no filler tube and it should not have had any fluid come out much less 1.5 qts.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
It seems that he accidently opened the drain on his 722.9 transmission, and has emptied the sump. Without special equipment (an adaptor) he will not be able to replace this lost ATF at home as there is no dipstick tube provided on his transmission.

However, if he has only lost 1.5 quarts, there should be enough ATF left inside the transmission case to allow him to drive gently to the nearest Inde who has the required kit to replace the lost ATF. There is about 9 liters inside when filled correctly.

Lesson to all. Don't unscrew bolts under the car, unless you know what you are doing..:eek:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Nothing should come out when you take out the plug, fluid is pumped up over the plastic insert in trans and run until all overflow stops draining,then and only then is drain plug screwed back in,so how did 1.5 qts drain out ? Unless he poped out plastic part. It's an 08 and might need changing anyway.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,377 Posts
Nothing should come out when you take out the plug, fluid is pumped up over the plastic insert in trans and run until all overflow stops draining,then and only then is drain plug screwed back in,so how did 1.5 qts drain out ? Unless he poped out plastic part. It's an 08 and might need changing anyway.
You are half-right, I think. :)

When filling/topping up with ATF, it is injected via the plastic insert (adaptor) until the flow out of the the drain plug is a trickle with the engine running. So, as the insert has raised the level of drainage, there will always be some ATF in the pan. However, I think that when the is engine is off, some extra ATF drains down into the pan, and this is what the OP has lost when he opened the drain plug.

Alternately, it might have been over-filled originally....just my theory...

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
The plastic thingy is so you don't over fill the trans( and to make it harder for DIYers), when you change the fluid, take a screwdriver and pop out the adaptor( or what ever it's really called , I think it's just called a pipe), then drop pan, replace gasket,filter, remove drain plug from torque converter( replace plug and seal) and insert new adaptor/pipe, use a J shaped hose to fill fluid start car until fluid temp reaches 40c. and fluid stops dripping out, insert drain plug and away you go. If you got 1.5 qts. out by removing the plug, I'm betting you poped out said adaptor/pipe and it is still in pan The only way to get it out is by removing the pan period. Need new gasket and new adaptor and all new trans bolts(6) they are alum and must not be retorqued. It can be a DIY but it's a PITA . I almost forgot buy new magnets (2)And 10 qts of fluid, only use fluid for the 722.9 trans. Total costs for parts is about $200.00 . Have fun

1 - 7 of 7 Posts