Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

Registered
1990 560SEC & 1990 500SL (Euro) 1985 380SL 130K
Is that the one in Paddington?

Shillings hahaha! We haven't had those since 1971! That's a super expensive area these days. I lived briefly in West Ken, which is a little further out.

Thanks a lot gogi - I think I'll PM you when the time comes. It will take a while for the line to arrive from Pelican Parts. I'm just wondering if I should order any other bits in the same order.

Actually, you do make it seem easier....you mean that I can leave the brackets in place, cut and pull out the old line, and then slide the new one through the space. Yeah, it makes sense. Trouble is, once I've cut the pipe, and can't get the new one in, I won't be able to move the car!! So, I'll be waiting for the other one to come back from the paintshop before I attempt this!

Thanks again! :)

Edit: A thought just occurred...how do you bend a pipe without the metal just folding against itself?
I use Pelican for finding parts, but then buy elsewhere as they are too expensive and no free shipping until $100. FCPeuro.com has trade in on parts. ALL PARTS. Even consumables like brake pads, wipers etc. I like AutoHausAZ.com for somethings, like a potentiometer. Then for dealer suff I use SuburbanAutoParts.com they actually use a Michigan Benz dealer as wholesaler. Best price and shipping I have found. Pelican gets from a dealer and marks it up. But then again I don't know who does the best when shipping out of the US.

Registered
W126 1990 500SE (ASR) & W126 1991 300SE
Discussion Starter #84
I use Pelican for finding parts, but then buy elsewhere as they are too expensive and no free shipping until $100. FCPeuro.com has trade in on parts. ALL PARTS. Even consumables like brake pads, wipers etc. I like AutoHausAZ.com for somethings, like a potentiometer. Then for dealer suff I use SuburbanAutoParts.com they actually use a Michigan Benz dealer as wholesaler. Best price and shipping I have found. Pelican gets from a dealer and marks it up. But then again I don't know who does the best when shipping out of the US.
Thanks for the suggestions. I checked them and Suburban had the best price, but don't ship here. I used Pelican once for some Fuel Sender O-rings, and they arrived here 3 days after ordering, which is amazing. I do have a good relationship with a Mercedes dealership here, who send me everything I need with a good discount, but unfortunately they're closed!

1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
Fcpeuro.com carries genuine Benz stuff so give them a looksee
FCPeuro is one of my favorite sources for parts for many years. That said, as I have a Euro car, they will not get me parts for it, unless I already know if the part will 'cross-pollinate to a US model and I order it for a '91 560SEC.
The MB dealer closest to me will not look up/order parts for my 500SEC, even if given the VIN, as its a German home market vehicle.

I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but that is the long & short of it from my personal experience.
I'm not one to 'throw anyone under the bus' as it were here. It is simply a fact.

If Martin had a US-spec car however.......

M

Registered
Discussion Starter #87
FCPeuro is one of my favorite sources for parts for many years. That said, as I have a Euro car, they will not get me parts for it, unless I already know if the part will 'cross-pollinate to a US model and I order it for a '91 560SEC.
The MB dealer closest to me will not look up/order parts for my 500SEC, even if given the VIN, as its a German home market vehicle.

I know, I know, it sounds crazy, but that is the long & short of it from my personal experience.
I'm not one to 'throw anyone under the bus' as it were here. It is simply a fact.

If Martin had a US-spec car however.......

M
Yeah, that sounds like a headache! Time to get a Cadillac! :) Actually I've always wanted one of those 1958 Series 62 cars in black. You guys are spoiled for choice when it comes to great classics. If I lived in the US, I fear that all my money would be spent on cars. Here, we just don't have the roads for them.

Registered
1985 MB 500sel (Euro)
My next door neighbor, a really nice guy, was a salesman for 30 years at a big Miami dealer. He said they had a fixed policy of never servicing or selling parts to a Euro car. There seems to have been a lot of that. Interesting discussion though on the merits of the various parts dealers.

Registered
1991 560Sec
I'm going to attempt to look at my fitting as well, I had similar acceleration issues. Do I need to relieve fuel pressure somehow?

Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
I'm going to attempt to look at my fitting as well, I had similar acceleration issues. Do I need to relieve fuel pressure somehow?
Yes. Put a rag around the fitting so when you crack it loose, fuel doesn't shoot everywhere. This will relieve pressure without a big mess.

Registered
Discussion Starter #92
Open the fuel filler cap first, that's what I did, and very little came out of the connection. But still use a rag under the fitting of course.

Registered
I always pull the FPR (Fuel Pump Relay) and crack the fuel tank, by unscrewing the fuel cap. You'll hear the pressure release. A rag under the fitting is always a good idea and not smoking is a smart idea in general. :cool:

Registered
:Ilyad raised exactly my question. Thanx Mike. And don't forget to use two wrenches (spanners) to remove the connection, otherwise you get twisted and kinky.
What's so wrong with "Twisted and Kinky"? LOL those are relative terms anyway.....

Registered
Oh and if you need a back up Fuel Distributor for the W126 "GreenT" has one that he's willing to part with. It's in good shape, I'd bolt it to my car if I needed one. He's a super nice guy, who says just make him a reasonable offer. No set price.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts