Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300D - 108k miles/ 2014 E250
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ACC Servo Dilemma

I have another thread on here about my car and the consensu is that my problem is likely the dreaded servo. I have read most of the threads on here about it, getting the rebuilt one from Mr. Murphy in TN or the electronic upgrade (from Unwired Tools in Flagstaff AZ)

I also spoke to a well known (in my area) MB mechanic and he said go with the electronic upgrade.

Many of the posts on this are from 2-3 years ago, it seems.

Here are my options:

1) Rebuilt servos on Ebay - roughly $400; sources in CA, TX and one in Canada

2) Unwired Tools electronic upgrade kit $700 and a harder install

3) Unknown need for a new amplifier, going to check that out in a couple of days

My current servo is not leaking just does not work - probably from lack of use more than anything.

Mechanic says the rebuilt servos (even Mr. Murphy's) dont last long either. The company that made them ("Ramco" I think he said) does not make them much anymore and the parts are getting older, etc. He had installed several of the electronic ones about 5 years ago and said they worked great- he was not willing to install/obtain another servo; said it would just fail again.

I am looking for input from those that have replaced their servo with a rebuilt one or upgraded to the electronic version. Please let me know where you got it from too!

Vehicle is 1979 300D -

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
1979 280CE
6,118 Posts
I have a rebuilt servo in my 1979 280CE. Its a worldpac rebuilt unit, not sure who exactly rebuilt it though. Its 7 years old and it works fine, knock on wood....

If you wanted to retain the original look of the car I would just install a rebuilt servo, however your mechanic is right it will prolly will die long before the electronic version would. There are a few members here who have used the upgraded unit and like it.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
If my servo went I'd probably start hunting for a set of 240d manual controls to put in my car.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts