Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading on AC upgrade and still don't understand what upgrade is needed? I just bought a 2000 s430 and the ac blows fine it's just not blowing powerful enough especially on the side vends of the driver and passenger as well as the rear vents for the rear passenger. Any idea on why this is happening. I have a EC button, but some people says that the dealer has upgraded them to AC off control. All the help would be appreciated as I am going to talk to the dealership again.

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
Responses from my older posts.......

Make sure that your vent dials are set to the single large square, not the doubles (that allows for a mixture of A/c and outside air)

If your 2000 is out of warranty - this "fix" could be very costly ($3 - 4K)

Find my previous posts below:

We had the entire air conditioning system replaced in our MY2000 S430 (April 1999 delivery) under warranty. There was a notice about the new system and if customers complained MB would replace it. My mother complained and its a pretty big job - they have to remove the entire dash and center console; they add a larger compressor and some other stuff. The new systems have 'AC off' on the 'EC' button; the old ones don't.

No rattles, no creaks .. only two technicians at our dealership were qualified to do the work however. Both had gone to Germany when the new S-Class was introduced and trained on the car. We actually think the tech put the car back together better than it had come from the factory. A little messy because we have a light interior and sometimes techs leave fingerprints .. but we took the car back for an interior/exterior hand wash (they are free at our dealership) and they took care of it. Good luck .. I recommend it .. hey its free, the loaner car too. Even though its alot of work the technician makes a nice comission - they love warranty work.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you got the bigger compressor what was the actual difference that you could feel with the AC. Did it blow stronger and colder for the front and rear? I just want to make sure that if I advise them that I am having problems with weak air blowing out the vents they will replace the unit no questions asked just because? Thanks for your input please leave me anymore info that you come across. Thanks.[:D]

·
Registered
SLK 320
33 Posts
Yes, it was much colder and more forceful front and rear

As far as "replacing the unit no questions asked just because" is warranty dependent, I think, and was being performed for those customers who complained about insufficient cooling capacity.

Good luck - it was definately worth it ... BTW the new e-class (which we also own) has signifigantly better a/c. Haven't been in a facelifted s-class (2004) to see if the a/c is even better too??

·
Registered
17 Posts
There was a modification to the evaporator core, and really made a big difference. As o...

There was a modification to the evaporator core, and really made a big difference. As of Sept. 15 or thereabouts, the dealers are not being reimbursed by MB under warranty for this fix. It only applies to 220's built up to 12-21-99, so there aren't many still in warranty that old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts