Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a part number for the speed sensor located in the AC compressor. I see one listed at several places that looks like mine but the 400e doesn't come up as an application.

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am looking for a part number for the speed sensor located in the AC compressor. I see one listed at several places that looks like mine but the 400e doesn't come up as an application.
It's a 92 400e.

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,125 Posts
I think it is 000-150-05-25 but the sensor costs almost as much as a complete new compressor.

I don't know what you are looking at for application / fitment, but the ONLY accurate source of information is the Mercedes EPC (or new ISPPI / Xentry Parts). Don't trust any online catalogs, they are filled with errors.

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
gsxr

Yes I am considering a new compressor but the old one works fine even in south Ga. heat when it stays on. I tried the new tension-er. It turns off during deceleration around the same spot on the way to work. I have not put my scope on the base unit yet, I'm sorta shopping around to see what's the best route. I don't really trust parts houses to sell me something that works with a good sensor. I purchased a re-man compressor two weeks ago and it knocked like a spun bearing. I got this and a power steering pump leak and I saw your mighty fine write ups on that.

I just looked up these parts and they are pricey. I need to be sure that's the issue. I had to put new caps in my fuel injection module so with these cars getting older.... the base unit (I read that's where the sensor goes) may have the same issue. I'll diagnose it and publish here.

thanks for the info
Brian

·
W124 Moderator
86 190E 2.3L 16V, 2 95 320TE's, 02 S500
13,021 Posts
The speed sensor is on the back side of the compressor. What part of Georgia are you located in? If your profile was complete, it would be easier to suggest a trusted shop or two to help you out if need be.

Jayare

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a e420 in the wrecking yard, I didn't have a short 6mm Allen wrench and after wrestling out the compressor I noticed it was frozen up. But I was able to get the sensor from it at the low price of free. I tried to pay for it but they didn't want to bother to ring it up.They were ready to go home. I noticed a different style of tension-er on this car, will that transplant onto the 400e?

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,125 Posts
There was a e420 in the wrecking yard... I noticed a different style of tension-er on this car, will that transplant onto the 400e?
1992 USA models with M119 have a manual belt tensioner with rubber bearing, that can wear out. These also have an 8-rib belt & pulleys. Be careful adjusting tension, remember to only adjust with the main bolt loosened, and adjust on the loose side. Excess tension will shorten the lifespan of the rubber bushing. New OE tensioners are very expensive.

1993-up models with M119 have an automatic, spring-loaded tensioner that is a much better design, and very rarely fails. These also have a 6-rib belt and pulleys. There are several differences, but if your timing cover has the mounting boss for the extra M8 bolt required to attach the new tensioner to the cover, it's possible to upgrade. HOWEVER, it's not easy, and other parts have to be swapped. IIRC you also need the AC compressor mounting bracket. And you'll either need to convert all pulleys to 6-rib, or do some additional mods to keep the 8-rib belt with late tensioner. There's a detailed thread on this conversion posted on 500E board some years ago. Read that carefully before attempting it.

FSM details are in this PDF document, see bottom of page 1, and page 4. I think the air pump pulley diameter changed too, although it's not mentioned:

·
Registered
92 400e
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yay. The engine has the new cover already. I'll grab the other parts from the junkyard. I gotta fix the power steering pump and ac issue anyway. I'm unsure about the crank pulley and I changed the alternator and air-pump bearings about a year ago and that part of it seems straight forward. The e420 in the wrecking yard is nearly complete, I can get the parts there. First I am getting the tension-er and compressor bracket to see what I can come up with. When I replaced the one that is on there all I could think was why would Mercedes make this out of rubber. Of course that was the early years of serpentine belts

·
Registered
Buncha W124's
2,125 Posts
Cool! Note that some timing covers in 1992 will have the hole / mounting boss, but it isn't tapped/threaded. Check yours, you can tap the hole, but be super careful. If anything goes wrong, you'll either need to scrap the upgrade, or swap timing covers (HUGE job). If the hole is already tapped, you're golden, the rest is bolt-on. Sort of. Find the other thread and read up before you tear into this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts