Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 ml320 with 94k. Runs great but AC doesn't work. Shop said expansion valve leak and quoted a lot to fix it... So I decided to treat this as a learning opportunity and save some money. Next week, my mechanically inclined cousin and I are gonna tackle it.

I bought AC manifold gauges, vacuum pump, and freon cans.

Now I am looking to pick up a new expansion valve and drier because its been open for about a year. Anyone have suggestions on which to buy or are the cheapest fine? Found expansion valve for $16 and drier for $30.

Any other tools I need? Any other advice? Anyone around DC with experience want to help for a case of beer? :D

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
several
23 Posts
The case of beer sounds good but I am not that close. Anyway make sure that you put a vacuum on the system for at least 20 min. and make sure that you use the correct oil for the system. Also put oil on any and all o-rings. As far as the parts go I buy alot of my parts from EACeuroparts.com they seem to have really good prices .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the help, I will check them out! If I buy an expansion valve, does it come with the o-rings or do I buy those separate?

Also, I need to add oil if I'm only replacing expansion valve and drier?

Appreciate all advice!

·
Registered
1998 ML320
41 Posts
I recently purchased an expansion valve & drier and had to buy the o-rings separately. Got them all from autohausaz.com

Someone mentioned to make sure that you have the correct oil for the 0-rings....anyone want to specify what that correct oil is?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Denso or Uro?

I recently purchased an expansion valve & drier and had to buy the o-rings separately. Got them all from autohausaz.com

Someone mentioned to make sure that you have the correct oil for the 0-rings....anyone want to specify what that correct oil is?
Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably order from them or JCWhitney. Which expansion valve did you get?

Also, did you get the whole $15 O-ring package or buy them separately?

·
Registered
1998 ML320
41 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, I'll probably order from them or JCWhitney. Which expansion valve did you get?

Also, did you get the whole $15 O-ring package or buy them separately?
No problem.

I got the Denso Expansion Valve and I went ahead and got the entire O-ring package. I plan on swapping out my expansion valve, drier, and compressor for new/newer parts, so I wanted to have all of the O-rings I might possibly need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts