Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, mostly. The evaporator and the suction line are still in the car. The oil that came out of the compressor was very clean, but I flushed it with over 32 oz. of new compressor oil. Green oil (from the dye) is still coming out, so I'll probably get another 32 oz. bottle this week and flush it some more.

1 - Expansion valve location. The valve is not present in the piture.
2 - Compressor location. The lower end of the suction hose is visible.
3 - Image of the front of the car after disassembly. Lots of parts come off.
4 - The module box (minus N10-1), and the view into the cabin filter.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
1 - Compressor on the bench prior to flushing
2 - Condenser prior to flushing. I'll try to flush it, but at the first sign of trouble, I'll be getting a new one. Condensers are hard to flush.

Attachments

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Matt, what symptoms did your A/C have that led to this job?
Warm left-side vents even with the proper refrigerant level.

I tracked it down to a plugged dryer. The symptoms include a very low reading at #7 even though the high-side pressure is very high. Also #8 reads low, but it is reading correctly. The pipe leading into the dryer is hot, the pipe leaving the dryer (to the TXV) is very cold to the touch. This means that refrigerant is boiling within the dryer.

Removing the dryer confirms that it is plugged. I also wanted to clean out the old oil and replace it, but after flushing the compressor it appears that it was not necessary to take this extra, very time-consuming step. The oil in the compressor came out quite clean.

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now I'm trying to figure out if I have the old or the updated dryer installed in the car. To replace the old dryer with the updated version, the hose from the condenser must be replaced.

Unfortunately, I cannot read part numbers on either the dryer or the hose. I'll probably just order a new hose and return it if it matches what I already have.

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
Good

idea to replace the hoses anyway,they hold a lot of material that can harm the system if nor replaced.
Kudos to you for digging in that far:thumbsup:
The trans pan and magnet will be like a vacation after this job.
ohlord:bowdown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts