Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Today was supposed to be an easy day but instead challenges. First, to get the shroud off to remove the radiator you should remove the fan. In my case it was pretty easy since I have had it off many times. So take the fan off, 4 bolts, then the shroud, and if you have all the lines off the radiator simply take the clips off the top and then lift up the radiator

2) To remove the condenser (you have all the lines off correct) there are just two clips on the radiator support bracket you have to lift up on and remove. Pry the little black rubber insulators up, and put on the bench. LIft the condenser out and you are alsmost there (I lie a lot))

3) I went to put the condenser in from Klima and found the bottom brackets were mislabeled so that took me a while to figure out, otherwise it would fit. Well the hoses would be tight but I think you could make it. The trouble for me though is I want all new lines and that is not possible with the kit I received. You see the hoses sent are really just extensions for the factory hoses. The new condenser has different sizes and dimensions so the old hoses simply won't connect and of course they are in a different place. Again the hoses sent are mainly for a extension and as such I have to figure out what size the connection is on the new condenser and have some made with the correct bends and such. Man its close. The old condenser had hard lines piped so it reached into the engine bay. The new condenser not so. I am thinking I might have to take it to a friend who can silver solder and do some jury rigging. We will see.

I am afraid I am going to have to come back to this thread to complete it much later. I need to get hoses made and decided if I pull the dash or not. If so the thread will be long

BTW I did install the new dryer with the switches. Piece of cake

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,703 Posts
I understand there are at least different condensers for the w126.

Where did you find the klima unit? I didn’t think they were making them anymore?

..With the level of detail you’re doing, is lean toward pulling the dash. And resealing the heater box.

Keep us up to date!

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,989 Posts
I understand there are at least different condensers for the w126.

Where did you find the klima unit? I didn’t think they were making them anymore?

..With the level of detail you’re doing, is lean toward pulling the dash. And resealing the heater box.

Keep us up to date!
Hey there,

As I understand it, he is putting in a 3rd-party parrallel-flow condenser to make the A/C more efficient.
That's undoubtably where the finessing with brackets comes into play.

M.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes I had quite a conversation with Klima Design Works today and have to say I am extremely pleased with the service. On Sunday I asked for a installation guide, and wallah it showed up withing a few minutes. That never happens. However a couple of things. 1) the tech indicated that these cars, and Malcolm can attest, that if you are not getting the volume of air, its because the coil (evaporator) is plugged with smutz! There is no cabin air filter and after 30 years obviously its going to be dirty. Second since i am putting in new lines I have to figure out the correct lenght. Most of the time Klima simply sends a customer the coil and a kit of hoses which hook up to the old hoses. Easy enough except for me..... With knowing the coil will need cleaning I am leaning towards taking out the dash. Let me get the condenser in first though. To get at that one line from the drier to the expansion valve is going to mean taking out the false firewall. Yes Malcolm I did order the rubber boot! I also ordered that line from MB. THat one was not too expensive. Now to see if any of these parts are NLA. You never know. You order them and then SHAZAAAM, NLA. Talk later

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,703 Posts
Good to hear on the condenser. I flushed mine today, and my evaporator. If that doesn’t help, I’m gong to bit the bullet and buy a parallel flow condenser 🤞

·
Registered
1991 560 SEC, 2005 E500, 1988 300SEL
80 Posts
Does anyone have any brand preference for W126 Gen 2 SEC A/C compressor?

Has anyone installed Klima's Sanden SD7H15 a/c compressor with the mounting kit?

·
1991 500SEC 55K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 153K mi. 2020
4,989 Posts
Hey John,

Its just the LEFT side of the false firewall that will need total removal. and surprisingly easy as well.

Knowing what I have learned by doing that job I would encourage you to replace the short fat low side hose that lies between the TEV & the fuel cooler.
It will never be easier to do and as the decades mount up, they do leak.

***Hmm, as I type.. I'm thinking maybe better to have that hose rebuilt with modern 'barrier' hose more suited to keep refrigerant in than the original designed for R-12 AND having had a long time sitting on a shelf someplace for gosh knows how long....

Thoughts before sunup here.

M

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good morning. Yes I plan to replace all the hoses. The one going to the coil inside the car is probably going to be the most difficult and that will mean removing the dash. I am afraid its starting to look like that is the road I will take. I am not doing a write up on that since many have documented that. My plan here is to just tell people how to change the evaporator. If you keep your original hoses, and follow what I listed above you are probably done, except for filling the system. Well, don't forget you are supposed to change all the o rings and without taking the expansion valve out I don't know how you can do that. Again though I do not know how long the old o rings would last if you don't change the o rings when switching types of coolant. I simply don't want to do things twice so won't take the chance. When I talked to the tech at Klima he indicated the same thing about hoses, in that R134 has a way of finding ways through the earlier hose. He also suggested if people do the conversion they change the seals on the compressor. I was not really planning to do that but now...... Again its giving that mouse or moose a muffin thing. Cost to do the compressor is negligible but its work. Cost into the car $$ hours to do all the things: hours ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++. That's a whole other story.

For someone using the Klima kit, I suggest after you have the brackets fit to your car if you know someone have the brackets welded to the new condenser. The kit has them screwed in, and I am sure its adequate but..... The extra mile won't really cost anything sooooo.

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,703 Posts
Q: Now that I’ve seen the expansion valve myself, and knowing they go bad, and knowing what a pita they are to access, and knowing you’re going to replace all the hoses, is there any reason to leave the expansion valve where it is? Why not move it?

I understand in some Nissans, for example, the valve is in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have the new condenser put in place, and the fit is ok. What is difficult is the placement of the lines. Unfortunately, the best way to correct the limited amount of space for the hoses, especially the large one going to the compressor, is to take the old hard lines off the MB condenser, and braze it to a new 90 degree fitting which will connect to the new condenser. That will make things a lot easier. Remember, the kit with the new condenser would work for someone reusing the old lines, but since I am using new lines its altogether a different animal. A small piece of info. I received this from Faz Jan. If you do install the new condenser, and are reusing your lines, the upper line won't connect correctly unless you twist the air dryer a little. You have to drill new mounting holes for the screws but its really not a big deal. That little tidbit was not on the instructions. Now just to find that special fitting for the large other hose. This rabbit hole is getting deeper unfortunately and before I do the other lines under the dash I am going to finish this part first. I just don't want to have everything apart at once. I forget more things now where I used to remember where each bolt went....... I know pictures. So this thread will take a while, please be patient

·
Registered
1989 300SE 232k miles
1,703 Posts
Interesting. My line from my dryer to my condenser is a hose. Maybe it was switched out when the PO went to r134a.

This is super-informative. Thanks for sharing

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Yes so is mine but the hose they give you, which also has the fill valve for the 134 gets in the way of the frame when you try to connect it. So the only way to get it so you can get at the fill opening is to twist the air dryer some. I only post this so people won't spend hours trying to figure the best route for that hose.

·
Registered
'87 560 SEC, Pearl Grey/blue; 300,000+ mi; '07 CLS 550, Barolo/stone; 90,000+ mi
720 Posts
Yes I had quite a conversation with Klima Design Works today and have to say I am extremely pleased with the service. On Sunday I asked for a installation guide, and wallah it showed up withing a few minutes. That never happens. However a couple of things. 1) the tech indicated that these cars, and Malcolm can attest, that if you are not getting the volume of air, its because the coil (evaporator) is plugged with smutz! There is no cabin air filter and after 30 years obviously its going to be dirty. Second since i am putting in new lines I have to figure out the correct lenght. Most of the time Klima simply sends a customer the coil and a kit of hoses which hook up to the old hoses. Easy enough except for me..... With knowing the coil will need cleaning I am leaning towards taking out the dash. Let me get the condenser in first though. To get at that one line from the drier to the expansion valve is going to mean taking out the false firewall. Yes Malcolm I did order the rubber boot! I also ordered that line from MB. THat one was not too expensive. Now to see if any of these parts are NLA. You never know. You order them and then SHAZAAAM, NLA. Talk later
Is there any way to add a cabin air filter for these systems? Otherwise, I can only imagine the mold that must be present, unless no mold in our interiors after all these years means that the spores didn't blow into the cabin after all. It's just an unsavory thought.

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Ok, the two pictures are: 1) old condenser with the lines showing, and 2) A picture of the hoses I received with the parallel flow condenser from Klima Works. As I mentioned I planned to use all new hoses so its a little different for me. However, the small hose, which connects to the dryer will work if you slightly twist the dryer and drill new mounting holes. This hose completely replaces the original hose and has a filling fitting on it for R134. The other hose, which connects to the top of the condenser and is supposed to feed down between the radiator and frame to the hose going to the compressor just won't work on the SEC. So here is what I am doing. My hose firm said they can make a hard line to mimick the line on the old condenser and make it fit onto the new on. Basically a 90 degree bend on the top, coming down the condenser and hoodking up exactly like the MB one. That will make things a lot easier. While mounting the condenser was easy these hoses are more of a challenge. I do believe that each car might be a little different depending on radiator size, engine size etc. Once I get the hoses back I will post pictures of that. Besides the dash the next muffin for the moose is to determine if I should take the compressor off and change seals. I have to seal, so no cost but work.....

Condenser.jpg
Condenser hoses.jpg

·
Premium Member
1999 500SL, 1988 SEC
1,462 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A question for you out there that might help this thread. I believe the place I took my hoses too will make the hard line I need, but if not does anyone know where one could get sweat on fittings for AC systems Basically looking for a straight # 10 to hard line and #12 for the suction lines. I suppose compression would be ok but not thrilled at that. I have tried the usual google search

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
206 Posts
You might try a HVAC company for your AC lines and sweat fittings. Or even an industrial hose supply place would probably be able to make what you need to your specs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1984 500SEL
206 Posts
Here is the line I am trying to get made. Tried a lot of shops so far. Any recommendations of shops that might do this?
There is a shop in Salt Lake City I use for all my carwash hoses and fittings that can more than likely make that for you. It's called Hose and Rubber Supply, but the downside is it's in Salt Lake, no where near MI, so the turnaround would be a week or two. If you want to get in contact with them and make sure they can do it, I would be happy to act as an intermediary. Google will point you to their site and contact form. You can even upload that pic to them.
PM me if you need my help.
Jason

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '91 300SE (sold), '98 Yota, '02 S-10 Hauler
9,060 Posts
I'm too lazy to type all this out. Give me a call and I'll help. 702-four nine four - eight zero five six.
Oh boy oh boy oh boy, (rubbing hands in an evil manner 😈 ) NOW we can call at all hours of the day and night to see if your fridge is running or just breathe heavy into the phone LOL

Reactions: InOverMyHead1*
21 - 40 of 45 Posts