Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i recharged my system today but its still not blowing cold, it went from hot to sorta warm

i filled it with an 18oz bottle and the pressure needle was in the middle of the green section

not sure if i need to add more??? any ideas

·
Registered
1981 300 SD, 1991 Geo Metro 4-door Automatic
487 Posts
Assuming you're using R-134...

Do you have a thermometer for your dash vent? I keep an instant-reading meat thermometer (snaked from a JY car) in my vent to see what temp the air is blowing from the AC. Temp always reads higher if the car is idling in the driveway compared to going about 70 down the freeway.

I always try to push the gauge on the low side to as close to "warning" as possible. Don't go past that...blowing up hoses make a scary noise! Don't ask how I know!

If you still don't get cold air from the AC, time to check high side pressure, compressor, expansion valve, etc.

Had a similar problem last summer in my Geo Metro...turned out the compressor had failed. Pulled it out, turned the clutch, could feel no suction or pressure. Went to JY, got another one, turned it by hand, and could feel pressure/suction. Replaced compressor, receiver/drier, pulled a vacuum on system, recharged and it worked great.

Hope this helps...

·
Registered
1997 Mercedes-Benz S500
213 Posts
so i recharged my system today but its still not blowing cold, it went from hot to sorta warm

i filled it with an 18oz bottle and the pressure needle was in the middle of the green section

not sure if i need to add more??? any ideas
Did you pull a deep vacuume? does your compressor engage? take a set of gauges and hook it up to the low and high side. I just charged A/C on my
R-12. now freezing my nuts off on a 90 degree day on a hwy.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts