1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

My son's 05 C240 had the a/c pulley break today,

very bottom right, when looking at motor from the front. pulley seems plastic or some type of cast.

Wondering if I can replace it or do I need a new compressor?

I can turn a wrench fairly well..

online service manual or schematics?

Thank You!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Some of them can have the pulley and clutch replaced. Others need a new compressor. I believe the C240 needs an entire compressor. Your best bet is to check with your dealer's parts counter - they can help. If you find that you can get just the pulley, check the part number on parts.com. My dealer will typically meet or beat parts.com prices.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW, this a very rare failure. Make sure that you check your idler and tensioner pulleys, too. Typically, they fail and take other parts with them when they lock-up and the belt self-destructs.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They belt never broke.
after pulley broke I drove it 5 miles to the house.

good tip on other pulleys, I guess I will replace them also.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
2002 C230 Sport Coup and 2006 ML350
1,127 Posts
Isn't that some sort of built in failsafe? Let the pulley break rather than have the compressor seize and have the belt melt down?

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
took it to a Local Shop that specializes in MB.
2089.00 to replace ac compressor, suction hose, ac idler pulley, belt & assorted "items"

I told them not to do it.

I can turn a wrench, I will ebay items. Took a quick look its about 500.00 in parts including new drier & o-rings.

Will pick up car today or tomorrow, I should get a complete breakdown estimate.

Any pitfalls I should watch out for? Tips?

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,441 Posts
Nothing really - if you've done A/C work before, it's familiar territory. Being a C240, there should be plenty of room to work.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very good to hear.
I already ordered, belt, idler & tensioner pulleys - $86.11
New aftermarket compressor, with drier, expansion valve, oil and o ring kit is $450.00 will order it later today.

Should be all set after that, A buddy will pull a vacuum on it and charge it..

·
19,441 Posts
Let us know how the job goes. Pics and tips are always good.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally received all my parts, worked on it a bit yesterday.

Suction line looked burnt, why?
Hex head bolt to it was stripped, don't know if I should even try or just buy a new one, They are not cheap, not even used!

Look at the pulley, never seen one like this...

Another problem I am having is, The compressor did not have any oil in it. I know usually you measure the oil in old one and add the same amount plus a little more into new one.

I can't find how much oil this new compressor takes...
Also seems like changing the expansion valve is a mission....

·
19,441 Posts
WIS says to add drained oil plus another 20cc. It even mentions how to identify contaminated oil, but nowhere does it give the actual oil capacity. I'd go with 20cc. Honestly, an in-service compressor won't have that much oil anyhow as the oil is just circulating with the coolant

·
Registered
2002 C240, 1972 R107 (350SL)
82 Posts
I replaced my ac compressor (Denso), plus the drier and expansion valve on my 02 C240 earlier this year. My compressor had leaked oil and wasn't sure of the amount to put in the new unit. After lot's of research and questions, it was determined to add between 6-8 oz. (180-230ml) of PAG 46 oil to the system (www.a-aironline.com]. Go to "compressor oil chart". Some of the new ac compressor may be shipped with some oil in the unit. Turn the unit to try and drain any existing oil. After doing this, then add your new PAG 46 oil.
Use some of the compressor oil to lubricate the new o-rings before seating them.
The expansion valve is a bit of challenge to replace. You will have to remove part of the wiper assembly to get to it. After getting the wiper assembly out of the way, then there is kind of a rubber boot to peel back to remove the expansion valve.
Once removed, it's just as hard to install the new one and pull the rubber boot back in place. Just remember to be VERY careful with the o-rings. You don't want to do this again to replace an o-ring that's not seated properly. I think the correct amount of R134a is approx. 750 grams or 1 1/2 lbs. Nice cool air from vents when done.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the info...

I am still trying to locate the seized a/c line, I believe it's the suction..

Going by the pictures I posted my A/C line has a small canister made into it .
All the ones I find do not have that canister.

·
Registered
2002 C240, 1972 R107 (350SL)
82 Posts
I have the same fitting to my compressor. Took a photo (little dark) of the connection. I believe this is the "low side pressure" hose that connects to the AC compressor. You might have to email or call (peachparts.com or rmeuropean.com) and special order this part. Peachparts.com has it listed on their site.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ordered it last week, $214.00
Damn!
this car has to go, the more a read about it on this forum the worst this car seems to be.

·
Registered
2005 C240 4MATIC
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got it off the net.
Just got around to installing items.
Compressor was a pain, as my big hands don't fit to well around it.
But I got it in, new idler & tensioner pulleys also.

Belt is on, but had to order a new drier as the one I got goes to pre April 04 C240.

I gotta wait till that one comes in

·
Registered
2004 C240
5 Posts
Hello, I know it has been about 3 years since you posted this on this forum. My compressor's pulley also broke into pieces and I the mechanic that was to recharge my ac system could not do it. He indicated that my car is not taking the charge from his SnapOn machine. Did you complete the AC work? How did you perform you recharge after installing all parts. I appreciate any information that you can offer.

·
19,441 Posts
A clogged dryer or a bad expansion valve (both of which need to be replaced whenever the refrigerant system is opened) can cause this.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts