Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, well they other day I bought some Johnsen's R-134a AC freon, and I charged the system my self using a charging hose set, and unfortunately, I have a leak somewhere, it worked for about a day, which means the Condenser is good and everything is good other than the fact that I have a leak. So does anyone know of any common leakage spots on our cars, or any methods to find out my self where the leak is and how to repair it, before I spend big money on the repairs?. Any inputs are gladly appriciated.

Thanks

Vili

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
They have a Dye you can use to find the leak. But now you have opened Pandora's box as even if you repair the leak you will need to pull a vacuum and charge the system.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Uboater said:
They have a Dye you can use to find the leak. But now you have opened Pandora's box as even if you repair the leak you will need to pull a vacuum and charge the system.
Uboater, what kind of a dye, I heard you can just soap up the tube's with water and look for the leak after I charge it again.

And what do you mean by vacum?

Thanks

·
Registered
2007 S550
1,165 Posts
The dye is an ultra violet light reactive dye that is a very bright green. It comes in a small compressed can and you can just hot shoot it straight into the system with the same valve you used to fill your system with. Then you charge it up with 134 and look for the leaks.

Unfortunately, most of the time the leak is not immediately seen as it is probably a leaking evaporator which is located just on the inside of the firewall..........

..... meaning you have to remove the entire dash to get to it. $2,500 - $3,000 + at a dealership. Good luck, I have the same problem. At least yours isn’t black on black with black leather interior.

Good luck.

And don't worry bout the vacuum, after the system is fixed it will need to be pulled down to remove the residual dye and oils before recharging but really if the evap is bad, the vacuum is no big deal.

·
Registered
83 300 d t
699 Posts
they sell sealer you hot shoot in to fix small leaks i would run ac for 1 hour after puting this stuff in to make sure it moves around freely and seals leak and does not plug expansion joint.

·
Registered
2001 E320; 2002 ML500
1,982 Posts
A leak doesn't necessarily mean a bad water evaporator. My car had a leak recently and it turned ou to be a cracked high pressure switch (a $20 part).
If you will pull a vacuum and recharge, also replace the receiver dryer.

Sergio
'95 E320 170K miles

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,510 Posts
Huh? What's a water evaporator?

·
Registered
E320 wagon
953 Posts
Huh? What's a water evaporator?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He means Evaporator = cold side in the car
Condenser = hot side after the compressor
In front of the radiator

Water was a typo.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the inputs guys, I will have to think about my next move, I will try the leak sealing method see if it seals the leaks, if not I'll just have to get used to rolling down all 4 windows...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts