Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the A/C compressor on my 97 r129 and am supposed to replace a part known as an a/c accumulator drier aka dehydrator? Anyway the part ranges from 22$ to 185 from MB. The problem is every part we get from all sources does not EXACTLY match the ACC/DRIER we took out. electrical sensor switch on car is too long for new ACC/drier and the the threads on switch do not reach????????????? I ended up putting car back together with old drier which now has a hole in it and does not work. The Mechanics have been at this for 1 month. HELP ME ANYONE PLEASE

·
Greek God of the R129
SL500-500SEL-190E
8,391 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
You have a 97 from 97- 02 the part # should be 129-8300-283

Sometimes MB is using older parts.

You may have this one.
Check this part # 129-8300-183 it goes in from 90 to 96.
What is the part# on the old one?

It will also help to know where you are.

Regards,
aam.

·
Registered
97 SL600 Pano, ex: 96 (late 95) SL320
265 Posts
Digging up an old thread that describes the exact same problem as I have. Most of the driers I've found online are listed as compatible for both part numbers mentioned above (none are only for the one ending in 0283). I got one of those (NRF brand) and it didn't fit. The cheapest MB original I've found is about 150 EUR which is a lot for a drier IMHO, but so far it's the only one I've found that should fit with some certainty.

Has anyone with a 97+ R129 replaced their drier with some other than the MB part? The 0283 part number is for 97 models onwards apparently, though I'm not sure if different engines have a different part.

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,841 Posts
Thanks for using an existing thread, it keeps everything together :thumbsup:

Somewhere there was a very detailed write-up by Matt Smith showing how to remove, diagnose and repair the A/C system.
I'll have a look to see if I can find it and post back into this thread.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Thanks. I've actually found and read that thread before already but unfortunately I couldn't find any mention of alternative driers that fit.

From what I've understood, it generally doesn't matter a whole lot which brand drier you use as it's a pretty simple part, so in this particular case I really don't like the idea of paying the 5-10x premium for an MB part. But if that's the only one that fits, I might be out of luck.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1997 SL600 Brilliant Silver Sport with grey/dark metal interior, 234K miles
1,977 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
I replaced my drier when I R/R'd the evaporator and heater core earlier this year.

Sure enough, one of the two sensors that screw into the drier didn't fit due to the length of the aluminum probe on the sensor.

Here's my drier comments from earlier this year.

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/r129-sl-class/2927666-time-new-evaporator-heater-3.html
Thanks, I'm sure my issue is the same and your description helps. You don't happen to know the manufacturer and part number of the drier that you ended up buying?

So far I've found that Valeo 508907 is listed as compatible with A1298300283 only, not 0183, so that's promising. I've attached a picture I found from their online catalog. I'll compare the wrong part I bought and the old one on my car later to see if this looks right.

Attachments

·
Administrator
1998 Pano SL500; 1993 SL500; 2005 ML270cdi
8,841 Posts
So far I've found that Valeo 508907 is listed as compatible with A1298300283 only, not 0183, so that's promising. I've attached a picture I found from their online catalog. I'll compare the wrong part I bought and the old one on my car later to see if this looks right.
Just to add that here in Spain Valeo pattern parts are very well recommended, I've bought plenty over the years for my various vehicles.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
The drier in the picture you show above is the correct one as the lower female fitting has the extra collar that accepts the extra depth of the lower aluminum sensor.

THE WRONG ONE's lower female fitting would look like the upper brass sensor fitting where it just screws into the fitting block (no additional collar).

Buy the drier above.

As stated in my evaporator post, the wrong drier came from Pelican Parts, but I don't remember where the right one came from. But now you know exactly what to ask for. I didn't pay $50 for either drier delivered and the one I eventually used works fine (I'm pretty sure it's from China). There's no need to get the part from MB unless you want to.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah, I was just about to write that your description in the other thread helped me understand the difference, and based on the Valeo photo and having compared the wrong one and the one currently in the car, I ordered the Valeo.

Thanks for the help! I wonder why they made this subtle little change.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1,977 Posts
When I talked to the guy at Pelican Parts about the wrong drier, he said the drier for my car only had one sensor port in use (probably true for all the newer than 1997 R129s), so the shallow lower sensor port came plugged. Unfortunately, my 1997 still had and needed 2 sensor ports AND the lower port had to support the deep aluminum sensor.

Considering the WRONG drier, I thought about swapping the two sensors, but the upper port is just as shallow as the lower. I thought about drilling into the opposite wall of the lower port through the port opening to gain depth, but the sensor would just about poke out the other side of the fitting.

Then I thought about sawing about 8mm off the end of the aluminum sensor, but that's a stupid idea as well.

Pelican Parts took the wrong drier back, but didn't refund the return postage (it's not really their fault, I suppose). Still, the correct drier can be found inexpensively provided you don't get it from MB.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts